• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IRENE..What a pain in the A__!

threads1

Just wondering if anybody is in the path of the storm & what you're doing.

I boarded up both shops yesterday. The town has issued a mandatory evacuation. Everyone has to be out by 5:eek:opm today. I think it's B.S. We're staying and if we go off the island they won't let us back on. We have 4 parrots and 2 dogs with no place to take the birds so if we can't get back on the island for 4 or 5 days they'll starve. I'm pissed.

Typestries

up here on LBI we're prepped at home and will stay. Over the bridge at the shop, we will prep today. I'm anticipating a long time without electricity at both locations.

Locals Find!

Don' t worry so much its only a category 2 most of the real damaging part of the storm will stay out to sea.

You guys will be fine. Just relax won't be as bad as they tell you it will be.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I'm a little more inland than you are, so I'm not really worried...

Years ago, when working at a sign company in Mississippi, when storms came in, we would have to go in to pull panels from billboards...now that was a pita...

By the way, if you want, I can keep an eye on your birds. My wife would have a cow, but you can bring them to my office, where I could make sure they are fed...

Marlene

we are just making sure we have a flash light with batteries, a gallon or so of water, in case the power goes out and or trees come down and we can't go anywhere. other than that, we are suppose to be getting the heavy rains and winds approx 80 mph unless it doesn't drop down in force which will really rot. I saw a list of preps on our news last night and on the list is to text message rather and call on your cell to help keep bandwidths open.

WildWestDesigns

I saw a list of preps on our news last night and on the list is to text message rather and call on your cell to help keep bandwidths open.

When we had a big snow last winter, people weren't able to make calls because of the bandwidth of the cell phones seeing heavy usage. Texts went through, but not calls. So I can see where it's better to text then to make a call in these instances.

Locals Find!

Just wanted to add make sure you have 2 gallons of water per person per day & 4 gallons per day for pets and have enough for 3 days minimum. You will need 1 to drink a day and the extra is for washing up.

cajun312

You might want to fill up your bathtub to have water available to flush your toilet. Stock up on as much ice as you can store.
A lot of things you take for granted aren't there when the power is out.

mark galoob

My Florida friends tell me they have to protect themselves from looter gangs after storm is over. They have actually had to shoot at cars.

Mark galoob

OldPaint

as some one who has experienced the full force of a hurricane(IVAN SEPT 2004)I STAYED IN THIS HOUSE!!!!!! they claimed it was a CAT 3 when it hit landfall, but they had stopped tracking it when it was a CAT 4!!!!!! storm surge pretty well wiped out down town pcola. we live in a1960's, all "pensacola pine," real wood rafters, and roof is 3/4 X4" tung & groove solid pine boards, brick ranch style home. we are 15 miles from the beach. and this house never shook or moved one bit!!!! let me tell you, you have no idea of how scared you can get when these things happen in the dark you got no electric, and you dont dare open a door!!!! after i got the driveway cleared of trees, i was fortunate to have a 6.5 KW generator, and i had 40 gal of gas in the stepvan. so we didnt suffer to bad. the step van had a roof a/c unit, and when the generator was running you had A/C. we kept the fridge pluged in and couple lights at nite. didnt get electric back for 14 DAYS!!!!! few days after IVAN, i had to go north 60 miles to a parts place for my SIMPLICITY tractor. while in there guy who owned the place was saying his freind in the forestry service was working that nite, at a fire lookout tower, these also have wind meters on them..........he said he seen it hit 180 MPH....more then once....and this was 60 miles from landfall.
point is if you think your tough, and you really got a solid house, sit it out. but if your house is a what i call "ticky tacky's", those built since the mid 90's.....with all the particle board and slap on vinyl siding...........it aint gona survive!!!!!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Don' t worry so much its only a category 2 most of the real damaging part of the storm will stay out to sea.

Exactly so. The media always desperately hopes that any hurricane will be a major event and they seem to have great expectations for this one.

Admittedly my hurricane experience was with exactly one hurricane the center of which passed right over us, some years ago on the Mississippi gulf coast. The whole experience always reminds me of the old Peggy Lee song "Is That All There Is?"

The wind blew, it rained, some stuff got blown around, and it was over. It was eminently forgettable.

WildWestDesigns

Exactly so. The media always desperately hopes that any hurricane will be a major event and they seem to have great expectations for this one.

Admittedly my hurricane experience was with exactly one hurricane the center of which passed right over us, some years ago on the Mississippi gulf coast. The whole experience always reminds me of the old Peggy Lee song "Is That All There Is?"

The wind blew, it rained, some stuff got blown around, and it was over. It was eminently forgettable.

If I recall correctly, the eye of the storm is actually the calmest part of it. Now if you were at the eyewall, I doubt it would have been as forgettable.

njshorts

you'll get the lighter side of it... should be ok. hope all is prepared and ya'll fare well!

we've ridden out a couple indirect hits that caused some damage, but have ridden out every last storm since I moved here in 1992... no worse for wear.

OldPaint

hurricanes rotate in a counter clockwise direction. YES, the eye is very calm(since ivan went right over us) now heres where it gets tricky. it rotating right to left, the EAST, north east side of the storm is the worst............then when the eye passes......now you got right to left wind, coming outa the northwest to east....so what it didnt destroy on the front side, it hits it from the other side once the eye goes by.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If I recall correctly, the eye of the storm is actually the calmest part of it. Now if you were at the eyewall, I doubt it would have been as forgettable.

True, but in order for the eye to pass over you the entire storm must also pass over you. You get to experience the entire thing from one edge to the other.

The wind blows and it rains for a while from one direction, the eye passes over, then the wind blows and it rains for a while from the other direction.

Locals Find!

I sat through hurricane Charley & Wilma boarded up in my fathers house. My house got the roof torn off by a tornado. The tornadoes spawned by the hurricane did more damage than the storm itself.

sar bossier

You know, I live over 165 miles from the coast, yet when Rita hit right behind Katrina, we suffered major damage. Don't belittle them, you may be used to hurricanes, but they RARELY make it that far north, or inland as happened to us. They scare the hell outta you, no matter what.