• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is harbor freights $100 flux welder enough to weld aluminum coil to dibond?

0igo

So I have a few questions, first I'll start off by asking is a 3mm aluminum composite panel weldable? I haven't seen any videos online and I can't find answers anywhere. Second I want to buy a welder to weld aluminum coil but my shop only has a 120 wall outlet, so a cheaper flux welder is all I can connect.

So is it possible to weld aluminum coil with this welder? Flux 125 Welder

equippaint

You have got some serious skill if you can weld acm. Its strength is in its lamination to the plastic, the aluminum is so thin and just enough to make a suitable surface over the plastic.
With that welder, you cant weld aluminum. With a real mig welder with a spool gun, you couldnt do acm either. You need an ac/dc tig if you want to weld thin gauge but .040 and under is tough.

Johnny Best

Why not just epoxy the ACM to whatever you want to attach. That thin aluminum on the ACM would not hold anything and the weld would cause a hole in the thin aluminum. Take it to a welder and have them try it before you start spinning your wheels.
Sounds like with the break and welder you are getting serious on some sort of a plan.

0igo

Why not just epoxy the ACM to whatever you want to attach. That thin aluminum on the ACM would not hold anything and the weld would cause a hole in the thin aluminum. Take it to a welder and have them try it before you start spinning your wheels.
Sounds like with the break and welder you are getting serious on some sort of a plan.

What epoxy should I use? And yes you're correct. I want to make sturdy channel letters. I was wondering if Lord's adhesive was good enough but I thought it to be a little pricey for the amount of letters I'm about to do. ,(2*23ft) or maybe I'm not sure how much epoxy is needed for the quantity of letters I'm making lol

Johnny Best

If your making channel letters you won't want to use epoxy or ACM. You should just buy them wholesale and take the profit and slowly build up some tools to fabricate them. A pots and pan break, metal shear, spot welder and a CNC router would be a good start.

Pat Whatley

My welder with 40 years of experience just looked at it and said he could PROBABLY do it but the welds wouldn't be pretty, the plastic core would be distorted, and the thin metal was going to delaminate from the heat and the thin aluminum would eventually just rip so there wasn't any point.

BobM

Any weld will burn thru the micro thin aluminum and melt the plastic core. No chance, no way.