• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it just me?

signage

Is it just me or do others think we have a lot of people in this field/profession that shouldn't be in it?

Reason I ask this is I seem to see a lot of questions on installs and materials from members that have been here 1 or more years. I would think that after being a member for a year or more:
1.) you have read threads on just about any situation.

2.) If you haven't read it you have had enough exposer to have a good idea on how to do thing, without having to ask on what seems about every job they get.

3.) If you do not know for sure would at least post what your plans are to see if they are correct, before asking how to do this or that!

No wonder the longer I am in this field, the more I see that look like it was done by some hack!

FatCat

Mostly, I feel it's just caused by laziness. Everyone wants immediate gratification - even though the answers are probably already posted somewhere here it takes time and effort to look for them. Also, yes, I agree there are some people in this industry that shouldn't be in it - or at least doing things in this field that they aren't qualified to do. But then again, that is likely true for every industry.

I will admit I am woefully under-educated in many aspects of sign installation as I am mostly self taught -BUT- I spent 3-4 years in residential and commercial construction/carpentry so I have a grasp on common items and methods used in fabrication and installation. However, I do rely on others to help guide me for best solutions. And yes, I typically post up a full scenario of how I will go about accomplishing it hoping that someone would be kind enough to offer up a "better way" or at the very least any flaws in my process.

*Oh, and worst case scenario I have an independent sign installer with a bucket truck and crane that I use on things I can't or don't know how to do.

Last edited:

rjssigns

Another thing is many people want to learn about new techniques or materials. I use this forum to see what everyone is using and how they are tackling installs or the types of equipment used to produce signage. Signs 101 is invaluable in that respect.

I apply my BBFS rule (learned from tournament fighting) to many things in life. What does it mean? No matter who you think you are there will always be somebody Bigger, Badder, Faster and Smarter than you. Question is will you learn from the experience?

skyhigh

There have been some dandy questions lately, from some "seasoned" members here.

The latest one, that left me shaking my head was...."Whats a stud mount"?

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Now, that's a stud mount................. pervert.jpg

Brian.... you're only NOW starting to see this ?? This could easily be the start of the longest ever thread, unless it gets locked down for losing too many members. :rolleyes:

Pat Whatley

Is it just me or do others think we have a lot of people in this field/profession that shouldn't be in it?

It's not just you....the first two guys who blew pigment onto a cave wall said the same thing about the third guy who did it.

Same goes for just about every profession....and a whole lot of the people who say it about other people are the very people who shouldn't be in it.

rjssigns

Seasoned has nothing to do with it. People specialize. You make it sound as if we should know every possible installation and trick in the book. It just isn't so. Some of our long time clients need something slightly out of our range so we ask.

Point in fact: Come to my shop and "stack dimes" on aluminum with my Synchrowave TIG.

Hmmm....can't do it? Well your not real "seasoned" are ya?

J

john1

Seasoned has nothing to do with it. People specialize. You make it sound as if we should know every possible installation and trick in the book. It just isn't so. Some of our long time clients need something slightly out of our range so we ask.

Point in fact: Come to my shop and "stack dimes" on aluminum with my Synchrowave TIG.

Hmmm....can't do it? Well your not real "seasoned" are ya?

:goodpost:

Funny how a few posts are about me but i don't care, You have to learn somehow and i don't know anyone who doesn't look into the best way to approach something totally new without researching. <3 Haters

BTW, What kind of season do you guys use LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatboy

It's not just you....the first two guys who blew pigment onto a cave wall said the same thing about the third guy who did it.

Same goes for just about every profession....and a whole lot of the people who say it about other people are the very people who shouldn't be in it.

I could not agree with you more Pat. Like in every profession there are and will always be people that think they deserved the right to be the only ones around.In my few short years here on Signs 101 I have seen newbies make it against all odds and I have seen seasoned professionals pack it up or having to take on an extra job to make ends meet.Fact is that you can never tell if someone should be here or not. This industry is so much more than just painting, printing or designing. Ultimately the person that will succeed is someone that manages to have a balance in all facets of this business.

So....my point of view,let people ask questions, if you feel like helping them out answer the question or just ignore the request.

Just saying!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:goodpost:

Funny how a few posts are about me but i don't care, You have to learn somehow and i don't know anyone who doesn't look into the best way to approach something totally new without researching. <3 Haters

Coming from a twisted world, I don't quite grasp how some of these posts are about you. Would you mind explaining yourself ??

J

john1

Coming from a twisted world, I don't quite grasp how some of these posts are about you. Would you mind explaining yourself ??

Yes i would mind actually. All this thread is is a bunch of hoopla about complaining about someone who knows more than someone else is offended or upset over novice questions. Boo who, get over it.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I could not agree with you more Pat. Like in every profession there are and will always be people that think they deserved the right to be the only ones around.In my few short years here on Signs 101 I have seen newbies make it against all odds and I have seen seasoned professionals pack it up or having to take on an extra job to make ends meet.Fact is that you can never tell if someone should be here or not. This industry is so much more than just painting, printing or designing. Ultimately the person that will succeed is someone that manages to have a balance in all facets of this business.

So....my point of view,let people ask questions, if you feel like helping them out answer the question or just ignore the request.

Just saying!

I agree totally. Well put.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, for someone who is always telling everyone how bad things are, then asking how to do this and to do that along with business questions and then to make a statement like you've made TWICE, it takes a lot of nerve insulting ALL the people who are helping you.

This place has nothing in common with a popularity contest, so take the advice no matter how it comes across, use it and save the lip for someone who cares.

It's true what he's saying and I don't see a single thing singling you out. Perhaps you feel guilty of being this type of person, but I think Brian was talking in generalizations about all the twerps in this field.

When you really think about what he said, he said, ya know, it's one thing for someone to come in a back door and expect help for free, but when the person is too uppity to look up the information to further themselves on their own and show disrespect.... who wants to help a PITA... especially a big one ??

If ya wanna boo-hoo..... again, do it with that person that cares.

Just so you know. Paying your dues is one thing, but once they're paid up in full, get the fug outa my way if ya don't like what I say or do. You don't have to listen to a thing I say, but don't criticize the very people.... the only people who can help you. That's why YOU'RE here, not me.

ThinkRight

Ya know, for someone who is always telling everyone how bad things are, then asking how to do this and to do that along with business questions and then to make a statement like you've made TWICE, it takes a lot of nerve insulting ALL the people who are helping you.

This place has nothing in common with a popularity contest, so take the advice no matter how it comes across, use it and save the lip for someone who cares.

It's true what he's saying and I don't see a single thing singling you out. Perhaps you feel guilty of being this type of person, but I think Brian was talking in generalizations about all the twerps in this field.

When you really think about what he said, he said, ya know, it's one thing for someone to come in a back door and expect help for free, but when the person is too uppity to look up the information to further themselves on their own and show disrespect.... who wants to help a PITA... especially a big one ??

Just so you know. Paying your dues is one thing, but once they're paid up in full, get the fug outa my way if ya don't like what I say or do. You don't have to listen to a thing I say, but don't criticize the very people.... the only people who can help you. That's why YOU'RE here, not me.

Here it is
____"There have been some dandy questions lately, from some "seasoned" members here.

Fatboy

This place has nothing in common with a popularity contest,

Unless off course your popularity gets threatened Gino.....then it seems to matter ! Then it is all stiff back and drop lip.

Ken

I dunno..am I guilty? I just asked a "new" question about silvering on laminating. I did a quick search thru the theads but didn't find answers I was looking for. So althought I've been at this 'bout 10 years...I typically use frog juice to overlaminate..this time I wanted a better protection for a piece that is going on a vehicle.
Thus the question..
Cheers!
Ken

J

john1

You know Gino, Everytime someone has something to say you don't hesitate to jump on the topic and write a book about how you think you know everything. Yes you do run a business and have been in this industry longer than i have been alive i am sure and are very knowledgeable but that doesn't mean you can walk all over anyone. You seem to help people (me for example) and then hold it over their head for the rest of their life if they ever have something to say towards you you personally don't agree with.

Yeah i do complain about things being bad, and i do learn a lot from the forums and i guess since people help me out on the forums i have to hush if i have something to say? Yeah right.

I am a very young guy in this business and i will make it, I will take ball busting and rough times to get where i want to be. All in all i am an adult just like you and i will not let anyone walk over me. Whether it be you, my Father or whomever it may be who thinks they are "somebody". If anyone has something to say i don't see a issue with saying it.

The comment i was talking about in this post about me was from skyhigh which i am sure you seen we had a scuffle a few weeks ago and i did just make a stud mount comment the other day.

Ken, when i seen your question i thought you were gonna get killed since you are "seasoned". No worries, No question is a stupid question as we all are here to have a good time and learn. I do know one thing, at the end of this craziness we call life, Your not going to be judged by your post count as you are on here.

:popcorn: