• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Is it ok to laminate after printing on my fb750?

Snook

Hello, We just purchased a new HP FB750. We mainly print real estate signs so this machine seemed to be the best choice for us right now. Our current workflow is to print one side of the sign, then laminate on our Seal Laminator, then print the other side of the sign, then laminate. This workflow seems to be going smoothly right now, however the techs that installed the printer said that the UV prints were not meant to be laminated. Is this true? We primarily print on Aluminum Composite Material.

particleman

We experimented with this and didn't find a film based laminate that worked properly on UV prints. They don't stick well at all. This has come up before so you might try the search.

Our solution for Aluminum was to use liquid laminate. Drytac sells several machines. Although your tech is generally correct, you should see a few years of use at least on aluminum with the FB inkset and no laminate.

Bly

We laminate a lot of ACM prints done on our Arizona with 257 inks and the cheap anti graffiti lam sticks great.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I can tell you for a fact that 3M 8048 works great for laminating prints of the fb750. The only thing we do is wait 24hrs to let the UV ink fully out gas and cure.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
OraGuard 215DU for UV prints. Has a "thicker" adhesive which sinks into the ink profile, reducing silvering due the dimensional nature of UV prints.

pkeshtgani

Hi there
We been printing real estate signs for 5+ years on FB509 I can tell you the following on Corrugated Plastic (since that’s what real estate agents want)
1. As long as your not printing edge to edge you can use laminate to seal the prints in. We maninly use Drytac InterlamPro version.
2. If you have to print edge to edge you would have to do it old school and print on vinyl and laminate or use liquid lamination (never tested on our end). Since the laminate will be sticking to the ink and not the substrate. The exception would be if you do grommmets to hold it down so it doesn’t peel off.
3. on Aluminium Composite Panel we have excellent ink adhesion and I have seen it first hand for 4 years depending on its position on sunlight.
4. Considering that real estate agents want the most economical products due to their industry we only offer lamination as extra production from scratching and your tech is right you really don’t need to laminate them.
Hope that helps.

Christian @ 2CT Media

OraGuard 215DU for UV prints. Has a "thicker" adhesive which sinks into the ink profile, reducing silvering due the dimensional nature of UV prints.
We tested 215DU and it shrinks just like normal 215 here in the AZ sun. Also 8048 is much more conformable to fine text and deeper ridges with practically no silvering

ChrisN

We use Mactac LUV 8000 series laminates when we laminate our UV prints. They're supposedly designed for UV printed graphics.