• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it possible to do single pass cut of 3003 1/8" diamond plate aluminum handheld????

aluminumwelder

I've been flush trimming some 3003 diamond plate aluminum using a solid carbide 1/4" up cut bit
http://www.precisionbits.com/solid-...-bit-spiral-upcut-1-4-shank-yonico-14121.html

My technique is to use a jig saw to trim the edge down to within about 1/16th of final shape and then use router at around 8,000 rpm to finish the edge.

My worker, though he would just skip the jig saw step and go to town with the router, of course it gummed up and the bearing broke off.

But it did make me wonder, is it possible to just zip through aluminum this thick with a router? If so what bits and technques make it possible?
I'd imagine a thinner bit like 1/8th would cause less drag, but it would also be easiser to snap!

letterman7

I'd like to see you jigsaw a 1/16" accurately. Seriously, it's not that thick that you can't do it with a router and the right bit. Or, better yet, a simple fine cut jigsaw blade. With a handheld router, keep the cut area wet with some WD40 and take your time - cut from the reverse side (smooth side) obviously. Unless you're doing complex curves, there are far easier and quicker ways to cut it.

aluminumwelder

pictures of routing 1/8" thick aluminum diamond plate

View attachment 102830
perhaps some photos would give you a better idea of what I am doing
On the left is a 24x30" piece of 1/8" thick diamond plate
on the right is the almost finished product.

Under the diamond plate is a 1x0.5" piece of bent rectangular tube for rigidity.
I want the diamond plate to be flush cut against this.

Next step is to use jig saw and rough cut the radius corner off.
View attachment 102831

Next step is to take a flush cut carbide 1/4" bit with end bearing and trim it flush
Last step is to take 1/8" radius carbide router bit to remove the sharp corner and we get a corner that looks like this
View attachment 102832
And my basic question is this? Can we skip using the jig saw and just flush cut off the square corner instead with a router?
If so what bit, speeds, and technique will accomplish this most easily?

for example do you bust out a can of tap magic and have a second person continuously spray the router tip while cutting?
Do you place the entire plate in a big flat tub of cutting fluid?
do you just spray on a dab and know that it will be blasted off in a matter of seconds and dont' give a crap?

letterman7

Just use a bigger bit with more meat on the blade if you're routing. The first thing I see is that your bit is riding too deep or something - I can see a step where the bit starts into the metal. Probably one reason why it loaded up and snapped. I've never had an issue with a single spiral bit in my CNC for aluminum, and I've used basic flush trim bits (carbide) for doing what you're doing against a framework. And I think it (the bit) I used I bought at Home Depot and is similar to this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1...rim-Router-Bit-DR50102/100660681?N=5yc1vZc8y9

You'll want to spin faster than 8K though.. otherwise the bit will want to wander and be hard to control. 16K works well with hand-helds, and having someone with a coolant mist is an added bonus. I used to use old candles, too - rub the upcoming edge as you go. And depending on how much excess you're trying to trim - if it's more than the width of half the bit, take small bites. Hand trimming is something you can't rush along. And make sure your base plate on the router spans enough of those diamonds to make it stable - I also see some of your rout lines wandering a little bit.

Make a template of MDF or something of the frame, and pre-rout the diamondplate from the back before you install on the frame. It's safer and easier to control.

aluminumwelder

Just use a bigger bit with more meat on the blade if you're routing.

whole point of my post is to see if I canavoid using a jig saw.maybe reread what I wrote.?

we cannot make a mdf template because the aluminum bends are not consistent enough since they are done by hand not via CNC machines

MikePro

I have a CNC router with carbide upcut spiral bits and STILL don't bother trying to cut 1/8" aluminum in one pass.
some good things take time, and there's no shortcut here. its like trying to shave your head with a Bic in one-pass while starting with a full head of hair rather than buzzing it down with a clippers first.

letterman7

With your screen name, I had thought you knew about how to machine aluminum. From your other posts, it's fairly obvious you don't. You'll have to figure out what works for you instead of not taking advice from guys that have been working it for years. Try a large disc sander with 60 grit on it and grind the edge down if you don't want to rout / jig saw/ hand finish the edge.

letterman7

Works for me. I'm rude and arrogant for telling you how I've successfully hand router aluminum for years? Hmm.. I guess the only people that will benefit are the ones that don't put me on an ignore list. Good luck with the project and don't lose any fingers.

rjssigns

Anything I do that requires radiused corners or intricate cuts gets sent out to a local shop. Parts are cut with either a laser or waterjet. Makes my life a whole lot simpler and products a whole lot prettier. Upside is the little bit extra I pay for the service is far less costly than me trying to bull through it using incorrect tools and processes.

FYI: I spent 26 years in a custom fab shop and continue to weld for hire.(mainly TIG on aluminum and stainless)

Works for me. I'm rude and arrogant for telling you how I've successfully hand router aluminum for years? Hmm.. I guess the only people that will benefit are the ones that don't put me on an ignore list. Good luck with the project and don't lose any fingers.

It does say aluminum welder not fabricator. So maybe he usually welds tubes together. By the same token I wouldn't give crap to the people helping you, even if you don't like all of their response. Ignore him but in the future he might have the answer to a question you have and you will never see his answer.

aluminumwelder

He's not trying to help me. He just has his own agenda and a big mouth. If he actually wanted to help he would of read the question and actually answered it.
INstead he goes off on a personal attack because he can't read my posts. I already know I can trim and router it, obviously becuase I have pictures that show that process. And that is NOT what I'm asking about.

Anyways, I ordered some carbide single flute bits off ebay and will try myself since no one on this board has actually tried it.
Cause if anyone actually has tried it, the answer would be something like
YES you can do it with XYZ company's carbite bits set at 12,000 rpm on a router using oil all along an edge.
It's really that simple. Straight forward responses with out the attitude and BS.

aluminumwelder

you're rude and arrogant for posting BS like this
"With your screen name, I had thought you knew about how to machine aluminum. From your other posts, it's fairly obvious you don't."

by the way.
sanding 3003 series aluminum on a 60 grit sander would clog it up in seconds, you give horrible advice too.

aluminumwelder

"Upside is the little bit extra I pay for the service is far less costly than me trying to bull through it using incorrect tools and processes."

INCORRECT TOOLS?

give me a break, before there was cnc machines, we all somehow managed with the incorrect tools.

letterman7

:wink: Funny thing is that he'll never see this post. Gee.. I posted a link to a bit that have used in the past (or one very similar) with a set router speed and what I used as a bit lubricant, and he still says I have my own agenda and never answered his question? And have sanded aluminum of all grades on belt sanders.. yes, they will clog eventually if you push it hard enough, but then, here's a guy who already has all his own answers apparently...

I'm outta this thread for good..

rjssigns

"Upside is the little bit extra I pay for the service is far less costly than me trying to bull through it using incorrect tools and processes."

INCORRECT TOOLS?

give me a break, before there was cnc machines, we all somehow managed with the incorrect tools.

Why are you so easily offended? You came here looking for ideas and I told you what I do.

Yes you are using the wrong tools in an unsafe manner. I will stand by that statement.

Truth is I don't care now the old timers did it. There are better, safer, more accurate ways of doing things today.

We live in the age of CNC equipment and I choose to leverage that technology.

If this type of response angers you maybe it's time to look for another forum.

aluminumwelder

"Why are you so easily offended?"
Because you think your way is the only right way and are arrogantly dismiss other ways as incorrect.

That is why. I've been routing aluminum for years, there is nothing unsafe about it.

so if you have another way of doing it great share and spread the karma, but dont' be a troll about it.

rjssigns

"Why are you so easily offended?"
Because you think your way is the only right way and are arrogantly dismiss other ways as incorrect.

That is why. I've been routing aluminum for years, there is nothing unsafe about it.

so if you have another way of doing it great share and spread the karma, but dont' be a troll about it.

A troll? Really?! Just trying to help with my decades of experience, but that doesn't matter to guys like you.

I find it ironic(and slightly amusing) how you claim to have been doing it for years yet come here looking for advice. Should have the system knocked by now dontcha think?