Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is my blade shot?

Discussion in 'Graphtec' started by gabagoo, Apr 1, 2008.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I am not sure of this strangeness. I replaced my teflon strip a couple months ago so I know thats not the problem. As you all know as the blade slowly gets dull you increse your pressure for cutting. What does it mean when all of a sudden this slow dulling reverses and now the blade seems to be shearing thorugh the material in different places? Is it theblade totally shot? If I reduce the cut pressure it cuts ok but I can see the vinyl sort of looks like it is lifting a little and on a truck we did this morning I was looking at the vinyl and it appeared to look as though the edges just were not sitting on the vehicle the same as the main body of each letter. I even repressed them down but still it had a look of a slightly lifted edge. I have been cutting vinyl for a long time but can't say that I have really seenthis before. What do you think this is....dull blade or maybe something worse?

Tags:
  2. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    maybe a broken tip...
    They costs a few bucks...always keep a spare around.

I bought a separate blade holder for my 60° so I wouldn't have to keep guessing about the depth every time I swapped.

3. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    If you think you need a fresh blade, you do.

Since you seem to be having troubles with the pick up/set down you might want to blow the dust and crud out of your tool carriage paying special attention to the up/down mechanism. You also might want to put just a dab of silicone grease on the tip of a toothpick and grease the tiny ball bearings in your blade holder.

4. os101king

os101king Active Member

Do you have a replaceable cutter strip? We had our CAMM1 for over a year before we had to replace it.. at that point couldn't figure out what was wrong, but it sounds similar to your problems.

5. TLG

TLG Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Did this happen with a roll of material you hadn't cut before? I've noticed a similar problem sometimes. Wasn't the blade as much as inconsistencies in the material.
    Bob also has a point. Can't keep the plotter too clean & lubed.

Good luck.