• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is the Easel dead?

Colin

In my internet research on digital printers, I've come across a lot of images & videos of people's shops, and it seems that a lot of people only have flat tables (due I guess to all that laminating and Big Squeegee use with prints), and the old standard 4x8 (or 4x16) sign-easel often seems to be missing.

How about you & your shop?

a) What's an easel?

b) Used to use one, but now all flat tables.

c) Use both.

d) Couldn't be without an easel.

Me: I have a 30" x 12' long (flat) countertop table (against a wall) for all weeding & tape application, and right behind me is a 4x8 easel which is hinged so it can go down flat when required. It's built on a 2x4 frame with 4" x 4" posts on the corners, and is on wheels, so can be moved around.

Last edited:

showcase 66

I have both. Some days I like the easel and some days I hate it. I like it for full 4x8 aluminum sheets and things like that. I also have a 3x4 easel that can be folded down to a flat table. Its nice when you need the extra space.

artsnletters

i have a 4'x24' easel that USED to come in pretty handy when hand lettering 24' long banners when enaml-kote was in vogue. The 4x8 end has galvanized steel on it used with an Electro-Pounce®. its covered with overspray, practice pinstripe designs and notes for jobs. I still use it often.
Tim

Colin

Attachments

• Easel 2.JPG
    Easel 2.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 159

signmeup

Colin, that would be slick just for getting 4 x 8 sheets onto the table. Set them in place then tip. I'm not getting any younger. I might have to build one of those.

Colin

It seems that a shop that still does a fair bit of vinyl, or vinyl only, uses an easel, but a shop that pretty much prints everything, doesn't.

SignosaurusRex

I miss my 4' x 24' Easel w/4' x 8' pounce section, 10' x 40' Banner/Bulletin wall and (4) 5'X10" rolling tables. The Easel was adjustable angle and the Banner wall was set 1" out at the top so that any possible paint drips would hit the floor rather than the substrate being worked on. The tables had locking casters and all were built at the same height so they could be moved and configured as needed. Now days its just a 4' X 10' Easel, (2) 4' x 8' tables, (1) 4' x 6' table and an 8' x 16' banner wall.
Just enough change in the biz to warrant downsizing. :rolleyes:

cgsigns_jamie

I've got a 4' x 20' easel on the wall... don't use for much more than staging prints these days. I've been thinking about tearing it out to free up some room. Just don't have much need for it these days.

Colin

I've got a 4' x 20' easel on the wall... don't use for much more than staging prints these days. I've been thinking about tearing it out to free up some room. Just don't have much need for it these days.

Is that because of your printed work being applied on the flat?

cgsigns_jamie

Is that because of your printed work being applied on the flat?

Mostly... now that we have the laminator I use that to mount just about everything.

Also, I've always thought it was easier to layout vinyl when it's flat. I can move the material around and measure it out without having to constantly tape and un-tape the vinyl to the substrate because it was vertical.

Jillbeans

Not here.
My son got me a really nice one over the summer at a yard sale, my old one was on its last leg.
I use both flat tables and my easel.
And my lap sometimes.
Love.....Jill

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
As Emo said our easel is 8 x 32'. It is very handy for doing multiple copies of 4'x8' panels also. Line them up across the easel, Someone preps, two measure/tack in place and someone places the vinyl. Rinse and repeat.

After 24 years we finally painted the back wall.
And you see the big table holds my coffee cup just fine. :Coffee:

Attachments

• TCU sign new campus.jpg
    TCU sign new campus.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 180
  • F&F 003.jpg
    F&F 003.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 213

David Wright

i weed and tape flat..............then take that to the 4X8 EASEL!!!!

Why the !!!! all the time. Where in that statement are exclamation points needed or justified? Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode.

Anywho, I use a 4' by 16' easel with homosote backing. Also have two 4' by 10' flat tables in the back of the shop along with a 4' by 8' weeding table in the front!!!!!!!!!)))))))

dwt

I just tossed out a 4x8 easel two weeks ago to free up some space. If I'm painting I'll screw my substrait to the wall where it can be projected and painted. Other than that all my vinyl work is done flat on a rolling table with storage space underneath.