• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

is there a printable vinyl that resists high heat?

gabagoo

requirement is that it must withstand 350 degrees Celcisu or 660 farenheit. Even if there was such a product how would the ink fair? laminate?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Is that a constant temperature or just a max? I'd say cast with cast lam should hold up.

unclebun

PVC melts between 212 and 500 degrees, depending on the additives. Heat distortion begins at 140 degrees.

Brake wrap vinyl claims to withstand 400 degrees.

pinkiss

was going to post similar question, would there be any sort of vinyl where you would be able to blow torch it to get burnt effect, like you have on wooden barrels etc, not talking getting it to burn deep, but getting burnt effect on vinyl cut out that would withstand the heat to do lettering etc ?

FatCat

I can say with almost certainty that 350 degrees is too hot for any vinyl I know of. We've been dealing with an issue where dump truck graphics wrapped on smooth side beds were burned/scorched due to hauling excessively hot loads of asphalt. We were using 3M IJ-180 and after 3-6 months the graphics looked like they were scorched and had been on the truck for 10 years. We found a way to add an insulator to the bed between the vinyl and the bed - so far the first 4-5 trucks we've done are holding up beautifully.

But no, 350 degrees is too hot for anything for any kind of duration - think about it, your car's engine temp is usually right around 210 degrees and you know how hot that is...how in the world would a plastic or PVC material possibly hold up to hotter that with any kind of longevity???

pinkiss

Aside OP i was looking at vinyl that could be used similarly to this this video
just instead using bbq ligther torch for say 10 seconds, but ive no idea what vinyl and torch temps would be as not to get it melted or burnt,if its actually possible.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When vinyl is heated to these kinda temperatures, are they not giving off toxic fumes ??

candice316

requirement is that it must withstand 350 degrees Celcisu or 660 farenheit. Even if there was such a product how would the ink fair? laminate?
Did you ever find anything that would work? I have a customer that wants to put a decal on an oven. I know that there is vinyl that will work as there are safety stickers already on it.

pinkiss

theres prob plenty vinyls that can withstand high temps, but id think that ink on top wouldn't fare well - toxic fumes etc as mentioned above. never seen vinyl on oven, on sides and cold areas plenty but all direct stuff would be etched or engraved.