• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

is there a way to match a print to a vinyl?

0igo

I have a question say I wanted to use oracle royal blue vinyl on a vinyl install and then I wanted to print that same blue out on my mutoh 1624 is there a way to match the factory blue I would get from oracle? sorry if that question doesn't make sense I can't think of a better way to ask it aha.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Print a Pantone chart on the vinyl you will use....match the vinyl to one of the PMS colors you printed. There's your color.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I just ordered a NIX. I should get it tomorrow, I have been reading alot of mixed reviews though and was wondering if the negative reviewers are utilizing any color control protocols at all.

TDFcustomSL

I have a NIX and I will say, the first version was junk. The current version helped me a lot so far. I'm not using it to match vinyl colors to print tho. I used it to match race car body aluminum. Used it on a light blue and it got me cmyk color that was very very close. I spent about 5 minutes tweaking it and got it even closer. Still not dead on, but then again, its painted aluminum vs printed vinyl. After painting in a body shop for nearly 10 years I am more than happy with the color I was able to achieve with the help of the NIX as a starting point.

Northern Design

Northern Design Graphics
Panton color que

I have a Panton color questions 2 and it NEVER analyzed a color correctly.
Let us know if the NIX works in a real world environment

Christian @ 2CT Media

So.... First impressions of the NIX, Awesome.

We recalibrated all of our monitors before we started messing with the NIX. Our first scan was of Oracal 651 Azure Blue, the NIX gave us the color code and matched it exactly to Azure Blue oracal 651.

We pulled up the color on our design monitor and it matched darn exact, we printed it on a freshly calibrated material in our 360 and it was again darn near exact.

Second test we scanned various colors in our color bridge... It matched the listed CMYK color about 90%, it has a issue with burgandy colors which became apparent the more we scanned them. It senses more yellow or more magenta by a significant amount compared to the listed CMYK values.

We will do some more in depth testing on Monday but so far it was a great purchase for us.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Print a Pantone chart on the vinyl you will use....match the vinyl to one of the PMS colors you printed. There's your color.

This.

This is the pragmatic method. Not only is it the fastest was to solve the problem, but it gives the coloristas the vapors as well. Something not without its own charm.

Long ago, on a variety of media, I assigned a printed color to every color of Oracal 651 and 751 for each media. Not rocket surgery. just hold the vinyl chip up to the color chart and find a match. I do exactly the same thing when a job calls out some specific PMS number or another.

A couple of hints...

1. Do the comparison under 6K or higher fluorescent lights or, better, in sunlight. Direct but not blinding.

2. When a vinyl color is a tweener [between two adjacent PMS colors] pick the darker.

nixsensor

Hi it's Matt here from Nix.

The Nix Pro Color Sensor will instantly display CMYK, Lab and RGB values from a scan. From there you should be able to go directly to a print.

On the flip side of things we also have a built in Delta E 76 and Delta E 2000 calculator so when the print is actually made you can scan both surfaces (or type a digital value in) and mathematically determine the difference. If this difference is small enough, is of course up to your particular application.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a great weekend!

Matt Sheridan - CEO, Nix Sensor Ltd.

I have a question say I wanted to use oracle royal blue vinyl on a vinyl install and then I wanted to print that same blue out on my mutoh 1624 is there a way to match the factory blue I would get from oracle? sorry if that question doesn't make sense I can't think of a better way to ask it aha.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Matt,
Do you guys have plans to add other vinyl brands like Avery? And also the color change vinyl wrap films?

The other thing is will you guys eventually add One Shot and Ronan paints?

So far I love the product... I was surprised how accurate it was.

nixsensor

Our method right now is to add databases based on demand. Avery is at the top of the list. I'm not sure how the color change vinyls would work. How do they specify them now?

Are One Shot and Ronan popular? We are in the midst of a huge update to the apps right now but if it's something people would find valuable we could add it to the queue for sure.

-Matt

Matt,
Do you guys have plans to add other vinyl brands like Avery? And also the color change vinyl wrap films?

The other thing is will you guys eventually add One Shot and Ronan paints?

So far I love the product... I was surprised how accurate it was.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The color change vinyls are just like their other vinyls just they are intended for wrapping. I just noticed those colors aren't in your databases.

One Shot and Ronan seem to be the top choices for hand lettering along with a few others.

Another idea/question: Can we build a custom database?

nixsensor

Super good question actually... and probably something I should of brought up before, especially with a tight knit community like this.

We actually have a standard Excel CSV file that you can populate with Nix data and then just upload to your Nix Pro app. This way you can put any color in that you like. (You can also remove databases you don't ever intend to use from the settings screen)

PM me and I'll get the file and a PDF guide over to you ASAP.

I'm new to the forums, but I wonder if we could post the files somewhere on the forum as well.

The color change vinyls are just like their other vinyls just they are intended for wrapping. I just noticed those colors aren't in your databases.

One Shot and Ronan seem to be the top choices for hand lettering along with a few others.

Another idea/question: Can we build a custom database?

jeffkics

Sign Says
So I am looking at the nix, and is it worth getting the pro? Or is the 99dollar one good enough?
Will it give vinyl colors of avery?
Tyia