• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there any way to print barcodes along the Y axis instead of X on Onyx?

markdarian

Our printer uses Onyx and prints a barcode and registration marks along the X axis. Then we transfer the media to our Summa cutter, it reads the barcode, scans the reg marks and cuts.

But we ran into a problem when we started using 4' x 8' sheets for the first time. Our cutter can only read barcodes from side to side, not up and down. So when the 4x8 media is on the cutter, the barcode is going vertical and it won't read it. And if we flip it horizontal, it won't fit on the cutter.

We can rotate the actual image in Onyx, but the barcode is always printed along the X-axis regardless of what we do.

The tech said the only solution is to create a separate cut file through illustrator and print the reg marks as part of the artwork. Then manually upload the cut file, scan the reg marks, and cut.

So is the barcode essentially useless on larger media?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I think this is a new feature in x21. saw it on their website or youtube. to be able to change location of the barcode.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I think this is a new feature in x21. saw it on their website or youtube. to be able to change location of the barcode.

That's good to know! Run into this issue all the time with Onyx. Either barcodes take up way too much space limiting our print width on rolls or the insist on printing on top/bottom on 4x8 sheets on our Arizona.

Bly

I don't think so. We've got 21 and it just seems to give options to add an image or QR codes to the same horizontal label.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Mark,

First off, congrats on the Summa cutter! Sorry we weren't able to work together on this one but maybe next time we can help. As far as the barcode goes, why are you assigning the barcodes to sheet materials? Typically the barcodes are used when printing multiple jobs up on a roll of material so you can automate the print/cut workflow with less user interaction but we don't typically have users using the barcodes on sheet materials. If the barcode is a must then there is a different type of barcode you can use with a handheld scanner that might work better. Not sure who you purchased the cutter from, but hopefully they know enough about the F-Series cutters to walk you through that process. If not, we offer support plans and you could get one of those and work with our tech team and they can help you get that setup. Our guys have been installing these longer than anyone else and I am confident they can come up with a solution.

Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help.

Thanks, Mark!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

wonsngis

Hi Mark,

First off, congrats on the Summa cutter! Sorry we weren't able to work together on this one but maybe next time we can help. As far as the barcode goes, why are you assigning the barcodes to sheet materials? Typically the barcodes are used when printing multiple jobs up on a roll of material so you can automate the print/cut workflow with less user interaction but we don't typically have users using the barcodes on sheet materials. If the barcode is a must then there is a different type of barcode you can use with a handheld scanner that might work better. Not sure who you purchased the cutter from, but hopefully they know enough about the F-Series cutters to walk you through that process. If not, we offer support plans and you could get one of those and work with our tech team and they can help you get that setup. Our guys have been installing these longer than anyone else and I am confident they can come up with a solution.

Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help.
Phil,

I have a similar same scenario. To elaborate, we have a Vanguard 4x8 flatbed and a summa D140. While we have other printers, including roll-to-roll machines, our Vanguard is our only printer that prints white. So, decals that need to be printed/plotted using white inks have to come off the flatbed. We don't use barcodes, but the onyx generated cutserver marks always generate along the 8' x-axis. Our workaround is to use Illustrator to manually nest these job and then use the Summa plugin to generate marks. This way I can just rotate the file in Onxy Preflight. However, it would be nice if Onyx gave users the flexibility to change the location of the cutserver marks as it would cut out quite a bit of layout time.

edcooleyar

Not available in onyx 21. You can turn the media counter clockwise on the summa. Load the file manually and rotate it 90 degrees in goproduce. Output job and locate a registration dot.

Turning off the barcode doesn’t save you media either as it still requires 3” on the vertical axis.