• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there metal lettering that is harder to steal?

Angela

I have a customer wanting (according to their plans) stud mounted cast metal lettering. This is going to be a large project and will cost them a pretty penny, which is fine by me but I know the area where these two monument signs are going to be and it is not the greatest. I just know I am going to get a call from them within a month telling me that they had 4 letters stolen and need them replaced. I cannot in good conscious let my customers spend a boatload of money to only have them keep having to spend it over and over.

I know they will want something similar to the look of cast lettering does anybody out there have any other suggestions? Suggestions on material, suggestions on installation that might keep it safe? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

J Hill Designs

If there is internal access to the monument(s) etc you can put nuts on the back, or use an ultra-heavy-duty epoxy if not.

but as I like to say, anything can be stolen if someone wants it bad enough.

Kwiksigns

wookie
once upon a time, we had to repair a neon channel letter sign on a raceway... part of the sign was not lighting, but the entire thing was buzzing... come to find out, they used the raceway as a jump to bypass the broken neon... the little shock might deter thieves.... :)

SignManiac

I had one sign stolen three times that marked the entrance to the fishing fleet in Montauk, located in the Hamptons. I went to all lengths to make it difficult for them to steal. They used a torch one time and cut the steel band I had around the sign and anchored to the 14" thick pilings with rope accents. Another time, witnesses saw them tie a chain to it and rip it out of the ground with a big 4 wheel drive truck. I'm honored that my work is that desirable or collectible. Any sign I made with the name Montauk was fair game to people that wanted a souvenir for their New York residences.

Another sign was for a private residence. A beautiful sandblasted redwood sign with 23k gold leaf lettering. The name for the house was "The Passing Wind". That one too was stolen three times and the homeowner finally gave up. I think in some instances, the harder you make it, the more of a challenge it is. If they want it bad enough, they will find a way to get it. Just make sure the clients insurance will cover it!

Ever notice that if you put something out on the street to sell, even if only $20.00 somebody will steal it. Put it out for free and nobody will take it....

Mosh

Not in the same class as your sandblasted work but...at our farm we smear grease all over the back of our "KEEP OUT" signs and all over the postes. It is enjoyable to see all the smear marks in them from people trying to mess with them. I love the thought of some punk getting grease all over his truck when they get back in. Messy stuff will stain anything it touches!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I agree with nutting the letters from the back if that's an option.

If it's not, try using Lexel and a LOT of it. The stuff is super stretchy and it makes removing signs/letters a lot more difficult than using silicone.

But s mentioned - anything can be stolen if the person wants it bad enough.