• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is there such a thing as heat resistant decals?

JoySigns

Another client request. I have an Edge, I don't of any Gerber products that would qualify. I would need a source I guess. Thank you.

petepaz

heat resistant to what temp?
if you have an edge you best bet is to get the gerber label stock or oracal makes some polyester label materials for the edge.
polyester/mylar will with stand a lot higher temps than vinyl.

JoySigns

They want to apply them to smoke detectors. In case of fire they hope to be able to identify their detectors as the ones that alerted them to fire. So obviously they wouldn't stand up to full flames but might be readable after some nearby heat.

CanuckSigns

I don't think any printed decal will foot the bill for this application. I would suggest finding an engraving shop with a laser engraver and have them etch some anodized aluminum plates and put some 3M 468MP adhesive on the back.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can't they identify which detector went off by a numbering system ?? All of our smoke, fire and security alarms are numbered and when one goes off, it's monitored by a central system which tells the time and exact spot and in what order they are going off.

JoySigns

This is the city health department distributing smoke detectors to low income homes. It's not high tech, I think they just want to be able to take credit for detecting some fires.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In that case, the only thing that will work will work on units not in fires. Heat rises and for the most part, will curl right off if any heat gets somewhat nearby.

This might be an after thought, but they should've probably been screen printed directly onto the units before assembly.

Again, they should just monitor which homes their units go into and keep a log. Or make a big sticker for sticking on the front window stating.... 'This Home Protected by ABC Fire Detectors'.

Billct2

I would also suggest engrave metal plates, but put thme on the inside of the detector or on the mounting plate if possible.
That way even if the thing got severe heat or flames on it the plate would still be with the unit.

rcook99

As Gino already stated there is not a decal made that will stand up to the amount of heat that is at the ceiling or smoke detector level. Having said that when you say they want to monitor which one they gave out and if it went off. Is this in regards to false alarms as well as full blown fires? For false alarms yes a regular decal will work but if its a full blown fire chances are the detector will melt to a point you will have a pile of plastic. The best bet is to look at engraving them but again depending on the amount of fire and heat in the area of the detector they might be out of luck.

petepaz

.003 or .005 foil (aluminum) metalphoto process w/ 3M adhesive
that will meet all the specs. nothing you can print on the edge will be good for that. even if the polyester/mylar stands up to the fire/heat i think you will have issues with the edge foil.

arzu

viny might last to 80 deg celcius or so , and polyester maybe till 150 deg celcius. Even without flames (yet ) at the ceiling, the temp gets higher rapidly.
Printing aluminum stickers with TCI ink might be good enough (cheaper) or indeed engraving anodised alumminum or glass.
We can make both screenprinted aluminum stickers as laserengraved material in house . However we live in Holland.. (no problem?)

JoySigns

Seriously Tammi? I did not ask for fireproof, nor indestructable. These are going on smoke detectors which themselves are not fireproof. The smoke detectors would hopefully perform their duties, the fire would be controlled and there would still be something on the detector to identify the source. I thank those of you who have been helpful in this search.