• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

issues please help

appstro

Recently I had the encoder strip on my roland sp-300 go out. I replaced that no problem. the printer worked well for a few months. Then recently I had a 0080 error and I decided that the linear bearing needed to be replaced behind the cutter. I inspected the bearing and it definitely was bad...I called THK as many on this board have (after reading a few posts) and I bought the SSR-15XW1SS bearing. No problem installing it. It was a tiny bit resistant compared to before but I chalked that up to being new....I did all the checks and even did the limit initialization. Then....I got the 0040 and 0050 errors... I called a roland tech and he bet me that it was the scan motor (1800 hrs wear)... So I caved and had him com out and install the new motor. After he left I tried to print somethings and I got a 0040 0050 error.... So I called him.. He says its the bearing and since I installed it and since its not a roland bearing he suspects it first. I asked if there was an adjustment that I could make to stop the errors. You see if I lube the rail up good the printer works well. if it sets for any length of time I get the errors. So I think its the bearing not breaking in or maybe the cable tension? Any ideas????

splizaat

If the cable is too tight it will cause the motor to fail...some things are left better alone for a tech, but doesn't sound like your tech is very helpful. Didn't he bother to test print anything after he installed the new motor?

appstro

No he didn't and I figured that he would do calibrations and such but after he did the limit initialization he said I was good to go. He told me he wasnt charging me for mileage (which would have been more than the labor) and said I only needed to pay for one hour of labor + the motor $445.00. I was happy with that and figured I would just do all the calibrations myself.

I almost tackled the motor myself, but after doing the bearing and linear encoding strip I figured that I would need a look over from a tech anyway....

A new printer is not an option. If I could afford one I would have bought one instead of the SP-300.....Which has been a freaking workhorse money maker thus far :)

Do you suggest loosening the cable a little? How do I test the tension. I have read that it needs to be 7 lbs but I am not sure how to go about it...

splizaat

You need to call the tech back out and tell him to finish the job! That's absolutely ABSURD!!!!! Our techs here in Portland are AWESOME and would never ever do that.

appstro

Well now that I am thinking about it he DID print full scan colors CMYK...but he never did a print/cut. That is where the error occurs. Just as the head is being pulled back to home after the print,... to park, so that the cutter can come out and do the cut, it errors out. If he would have done a print/cut he would have seen this. He of course wants to charge his hourly rate and all to come back out and he is sure that its "my" bearing that is the culprit. These things are this sensitive???

The printer works fine after you get the rail lubed good and if you keep printing it works for a long while without errors. If you let it set for an hour you get the errors again. What if I loosened the tension on the cable a half screw at a time?

I bought the bearing from THK because it was $213.00 shipped overnight. Roland wants $1000.00 for the rail and bearing as a set and it takes at least a week to get from them as they dont stock it in the US, I guess. ridiculous! I matched the bearing up with the one I was replacing and they were identical.

appstro

A little update on this. I notice that the error only occurs when the print head is furthest away from home as its being pulled back in. This action is swifter than normal. Thats when the error occurs.... I notice that printing seems to alternate between finishing close to home and furthest from home. On runs where the print head is finishing closest to home I have no errors. Also if I only print a couple of 6 inch decals even if the print head is at the end of the print instead of closest to home it will do fine. So does this mean anything to anyone???

splizaat

I'd say in the amount of time you're wasting, you could have printed $1500 in stickers....at this point it might be worth it to find a NEW tech and have them come out since the last one sucked.

splizaat

..but you're going to have even less money after you waste all this time, drag turnaround times out and then eventually hire a tech anyways.

appstro

OK I think I solved this issue. The linear bearing that I installed was the cause (kinda)....I called THK bearings, they make the roland bearings. I gave them the part number out of my roland manual for the bearings and the tech at THK told me that the bearing that I purchased from them is identical with an exception... The THK bearing comes with two horizontal plastic seals that keep dirt off the bearings. He said that they can create some mild resistance but on most applications thats not an issue. He said I should take the bearing out again and closely compare it to the bearing that was in there before. As soon as I removed the bearing and compared it I saw that the Roland bearing does not have these seals installed. So I simply popped the seals off the THK bearing and I have been printing so far error free. Something so minute and simple... I dont know if I am out of the woods yet, but it sure seems to have quite a bit less resistance now.

Roland Part number SSR15XW3UE
THK Part number SSR15XW1SS

The important difference is the E. To the THK tech it meant that Roland modified the bearing in some way to work on the machine. They removed the horizontal seals...

So... We'll see if this works out or not.

SwagIT

Hi Appstro, came across this old post and was curious to see what the long-term results were for the THK replacement L-bearing? We are having the same issue and ordered the same bearing to replace ours on our old SP 300...

cheers,

barry@SWAG

OK I think I solved this issue. The linear bearing that I installed was the cause (kinda)....I called THK bearings, they make the roland bearings. I gave them the part number out of my roland manual for the bearings and the tech at THK told me that the bearing that I purchased from them is identical with an exception... The THK bearing comes with two horizontal plastic seals that keep dirt off the bearings. He said that they can create some mild resistance but on most applications thats not an issue. He said I should take the bearing out again and closely compare it to the bearing that was in there before. As soon as I removed the bearing and compared it I saw that the Roland bearing does not have these seals installed. So I simply popped the seals off the THK bearing and I have been printing so far error free. Something so minute and simple... I dont know if I am out of the woods yet, but it sure seems to have quite a bit less resistance now.

Roland Part number SSR15XW3UE
THK Part number SSR15XW1SS

The important difference is the E. To the THK tech it meant that Roland modified the bearing in some way to work on the machine. They removed the horizontal seals...

So... We'll see if this works out or not.