• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Item Lists...Item details...

ThatGuy

Good day good folks,
Since we have slowed so dramatically I am taking the time to streamline our quoting process. I need to update our item list and item descriptions in Quickbooks.
Currently the line item includes details of material, size, etc. (Provided example image.) Am I including too much detail? Is this similar to others?
We use spreadsheets to figure pricing and transfer the numbers into Quickbooks estimate. Do you have an item for every situation with pricing or do you copy/paste descriptions as needed from another list somewhere? (I have included a spreadsheet example.)
I quess my big question is how does everyone else use Quickbooks with regards to item lists?

Attachments

• EST 27881_rev1.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 329
  • EST 27916.pdf
    57.2 KB · Views: 287
  • EST 27924.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 309
  • PRICE BOOK EXAMPLE.pdf
    113 KB · Views: 376

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just have very basic lists, (ALuminum, Poly, Bucket Intall, Lamps, Ballast) and put my own details in there. I'm not a big shop that cares about how much my lamp sales or ballast sales are. When I worked at a retail computer store, we had more detailed lists that I used to spot trends or decide how much product to keep on hand. but I found that level of detail is just not necessary in my sign business.

detailed sales was important for my computer business....detailed expenses are important for my sign business

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Due date???
We don't use quickbooks for quotes...unless someone asks for quotes on letterhead. We have a spreadsheet that allows us greater flexibility and the ability to program it and change things as well as the look of it. IE using the same database as a job tracking board on a large screen TV at a single workstation with the ability to have that pop up on 4 other computers simultaneously.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I quess my big question is how does everyone else use Quickbooks with regards to item lists?

An example of how sign management software exports to QB for a quote. The <brackets> are data points.

1) MONSTER RENTAL BANNER
< 1 > at < 156" > x < 276" >, < single sided >
Full color printed graphics, premium vinyl scrim, standard hem, standard grommets.
< 13ft wide x 23ft high > < $ price >

=

<LineItem#)> <requested product / service as named by customer>
<qty> at <sizeX> x <sizeY>, <sides>
<customer-facing, generic product or service description for use on quotes / invoices. Includes key components, their level of value/quality/longevity; budget-standard-premium, color(s), weight, etc. >
<brief note or identifier such as logo art, etc.> <price>

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I need to update our item list and item descriptions in Quickbooks.
Currently the line item includes details of material, size, etc. (Provided example image.) Am I including too much detail? Is this similar to others?
Certain details are not necessary for customers to see. It seems you're using a quote much as one might use a work order to provide details for production. That data usually resides in a sign shop database system for record keeping and to calculate costs and pricing. What's more, the same software actually produces the quote as opposed to QB. Once a quote is approved, or modified as requested, only then is data exported to QB to produce an invoice and mentioned by WYLDGFI.

Details can be as shallow or deep as desired. Could be expensive too, in both cases

bannertime

We used to provide detailed information on invoices, but it's cluttered and unnecessary. Detailed information on the material (brand/model), and things like *upgrade to ###* trap you in unforeseen situations. I don't even like doing sizes on estimates anymore because it makes it that much harder for a customer to take it somewhere else.

Our line item would look something more like:

Intermediate Full Color RTA
21.25in x 7in Full Color Removable Reflective Decal w/ Gloss Overlaminate - Contour Cut. - $##

Premium Full Color RTA
21.25in x 7in Full Color Removable Reflective Decal w/ Gloss Overlaminate - Contour Cut. - $###

This still tells me everything I personally need to know and it lets the customer know what they're going to get. I know that my intermediate removable reflective is 5100r and that the premium is 680r. I know that it's getting gloss lam so I know which matching laminate to use. An end user doesn't really need to know this stuff. I can see how someone might argue that it's deceptive, but we still inform that customer about the expectations of the material they are getting and what happens if it doesn't meet that expectation.

In these cases we might use a disclaimer like Intermediate Vinyl is rated for ## years, blah blah, while Premium is this. Then let the customer decide.