• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's a matte world, but there are options

JoshLoring

I figured I'd post this as a lot of people are going for that matte look. I've found with a little playing around there are some options to the degree of matte. I bet your supplier never told you this!

Option one, matte: if you plan on doing a matte vehicle wrap you need to order matte wrap material to print on as well as matte laminate. Yes, to get a true matte you need matte material as well.
-note: I see a lot of shops do "matte" jobs and wonder why it's not more matte... Read option 2

Option two, satin: I've found is you mix gloss material with matte laminate it produces a different sheen in the sunlight. Call it satin. The laminate has a matte anti glare but the gloss material still shimmers through giving a different look.

So, that's matte for factory material ordering.

Divizion E

The Satin look is what most car enthusiasts go for. Its just as if you wanted to do yellow carbon fiber. You can get a yellow vinyl, and use a carbon fiber overlaminate and get yellow carbon fiber, i have wrapped interior trims with this. With experience, a Matte Vinyl wrap on a car looks MUCH better than a mattte paintjob, because people go for a Satin look, not a unpainted look.

You can do, Matte Orange, Blue, Green, Purple, Grey(people like this)

jay*doc

Wow, I have never thought about that. Matte over Matte for even more of a Matte finish. I know of some shops that have a theory of printing on Matte and laminating with Gloss for a more even finish (and they say glossier) but I have not tried that.

I'd like to do my next wrap in a Matte/Matte combo. This full reflective wrap I'm driving now is a lot of attention and now way to hide!

jay*doc

JoshLoring

Jay- Nice. I never thought about that but your right. Matte material with Gloss would be ultra gloss. Mostly because matte material prints clearer. -Although matte uses more ink.
Hmm. I'm gonna try that on the next wrap.

Flame

Jay- Nice. I never thought about that but your right. Matte material with Gloss would be ultra gloss. Mostly because matte material prints clearer. -Although matte uses more ink.
Hmm. I'm gonna try that on the next wrap.

This is true. If you print on matte then laminate with gloss, it gives off a ultra gloss effect.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Its hard for me to believe, I took a gloss vinyl and put a matte lam on top then I took a matte vinyl and put matte lam on top and I cant honestly see any difference?? Maybe its just me.

JoshLoring

Its hard for me to believe, I took a gloss vinyl and put a matte lam on top then I took a matte vinyl and put matte lam on top and I cant honestly see any difference?? Maybe its just me.

You wont notice it inside although outside in the sun you notice Make sure the lam has baked on there for a while first.