• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jagged edges

Nostromo79

Hey guys,
Relatively new to the industry and this site. I'm currently using a Graphtec CE1000-60 and Oracal 751c. Every time I go to cut I get rather jagged edges as if the vinyl is getting pulled or stretched as it is cutting. Do I need to change the blade? Also, after reading through a few forums, I noticed that I have a .9mm 45 degree blade set in the 1.5mm pen plunger. For some reason my shop doesn't have the .9mm pen plunger. Is this an issue?
I appreciate the help.

Putting a .9mm knife into the .15 blade holder would indeed be a big problem, and I would expect it to seriously affect the cut quality in a negative way. The proper blade holder for the 45 degree .9mm offset blade has a blue end, and the .15mm holder has a red end.

Nostromo79

Putting a .9mm knife into the .15 blade holder would indeed be a big problem, and I would expect it to seriously affect the cut quality in a negative way. The proper blade holder for the 45 degree .9mm offset blade has a blue end, and the .15mm holder has a red end.

Thanks. Yeah I came into this position about 3 months ago and several people who knew the proper operation of these machines have come and gone and now I'm trying to figure all this out myself.
So without the .9mm pen plunger it doesn't matter if I replace the blade or now?

TimToad

Thanks. Yeah I came into this position about 3 months ago and several people who knew the proper operation of these machines have come and gone and now I'm trying to figure all this out myself.
So without the .9mm pen plunger it doesn't matter if I replace the blade or now?

So, the owners died and you walked into an open, empty sign shop one day and took over?

What do you mean "I'm trying to figure this out myself?"

I'm not ranking on you, this is something I've witnessed over my three and a half decades in the business, but far more often now with the advent of franchise sign companies where all it took to get in the business was good credit and a couple weeks of training.

If you are working unsupervised in a new position, the least the owners could do is have all of the equipment manuals, the resources and approval to make the equipment work the way its supposed to.

Nostromo79

The owner knows a little bit about each of the machines, but more often than not I find myself rooting through manuals to try and find the solution to my problems. I know the 1.5mm pen plunger isn't the proper one to be using, but I didn't know if that would cause the issue I'm having. I'm trying to optimize everything and get it running the way it should be.

Yep put the wrong blade in the wrong holder and this is what you get.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2011-topic-pages-music-jagged-edge.jpg
    2011-topic-pages-music-jagged-edge.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator: