• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JFX200 Ink Chips

D3D

Looking at the JFX200 but hearing stories about short shelf life for OEM inks (chipped inks only operate for 1 year) I am wondering if anyone is using a chip resetter for this printer or running 3rd party inks?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you can't go through a set of inks in a year, you are not ready for a flatbed. You will be paying more for the lease than you would be making in revenue. The shelf life doesn't have to do with brand, it has to do with how the inks are manufactured specifically for the LED lamps. So if another brand tells you they don't expire or have a 2 year life, they are lying. UV inks are much more finicky than other inks when it comes to keeping the pigments dissolved in solution.

D3D

If you can't go through a set of inks in a year, you are not ready for a flatbed. You will be paying more for the lease than you would be making in revenue. The shelf life doesn't have to do with brand, it has to do with how the inks are manufactured specifically for the LED lamps. So if another brand tells you they don't expire or have a 2 year life, they are lying. UV inks are much more finicky than other inks when it comes to keeping the pigments dissolved in solution.

There was a thread where people were complaining about expiration dates less than 6 months from inks they just bought. Maybe its not an issue, just curious what the options are.

boxerbay

uv flatbed inks you must ALWAYS have fresh inks or the pigment separates. especially the white inks. we can get inks in 2 days so we dont stock more than we need for 2 weeks. couple bottles of each color.

Signs Express

Every time I've ordered ink for our JFX the expiration date has been pretty far out (over six months). I think the issue you're hearing about isn't necessarily the short expiration date of the ink, but its my understanding that USA dealers only get shipments of ink in from Japan every few months. Meaning by the time some of it is in stock here, it might already be several months old (not super fresh :/ )

We've been fortunate in that sense I suppose. We are usually re-ordering in three months or less and I would not consider us a heavy user.

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
I got my JFX200 used and when they set it up they used all new inks. Needless to say when I went to use up some of the old ink, it wouldn't let me. Had some chips made and now we we're able to use up the rest of the ink! I think once your up and running I don't ever see a problem not using your ink in time, I just wasn't about to throw away $1600 worth of ink! I have extra chips if you ever need one, hit me up.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Your vendor should have FRESH ink!! If they are selling you ink that is old, a few months from expiration, send it back and tell them that you want fresh ink!!

We have a standing policy that when a bottle get down to approx. 40-50% we order another. That way we always have ink on hand.

I also agree that if you can't use a set of ink in a year you are not ready for a flatbed printer.

AMGraphics315

Creative Director, Vice President
Agreed, unfortunately I don't know where the '1 year' figure is coming from. My LUS150 ink has a 2 month expiration in my jfx200. Usually this isn't a problem with the volume we do, but with the holiday season just passing in snowy upstate NY we have a bottle of white, which is used the least about 75% full and telling us we can't use it. I'll look for a replacement chip to finish this bottle out instead of tossing $200 in the garbage

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We sell the JFX200 ink and Mimaki only guarantees us 6 months or longer shelf life left on these when we place a stocking order. So even dealers don't get a full year sometimes. The ink has a 1 year shelf life from manufacture but it takes a while to get to the US and then it sits on Mimaki USA's shelf for a while and then it gets to us. It's by far one of the harder inks to stock.

ludwig

Hightec in Print
I got my JFX200 used and when they set it up they used all new inks. Needless to say when I went to use up some of the old ink, it wouldn't let me. Had some chips made and now we we're able to use up the rest of the ink! I think once your up and running I don't ever see a problem not using your ink in time, I just wasn't about to throw away $1600 worth of ink! I have extra chips if you ever need one, hit me up.

We have a big problem with the Clear ink in the JFX 200. Have about 10 full bottles on the shelf - it is because we are using clear ink very little. We need just use the chips. Now, I dont want to buy any clear ink. Just need the chip. It is just so absurd that we have tu bay a new bottle of clear ink all the time.

Is there any way to get rid of the clear?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
This is common with spot colors like clear and varnish because people overestimate how much they will use it. You can switch but it is costly. Depending on what color setup you switch to you might have to flush the entire machine or just half the machine. That will cost a good amount in wasted ink and cleaning bottles. Then you have to change 4 - 12 filters at about $255 each depending again on what setup you switch to. There is also always a risk that something fails and you don't get 100% nozzles back. I would look for a 3rd party ink chip supplier and just buy some chips. Other than that, if ti is worth it to you in time and money, switching could be worth it.

Doc Zoom

Doc Zoom
Yes, just get some aftermarket chips. They come out of England, I believe. Their cheap, so buy extras! Takes a couple of weeks to get though. Kind of pisses one off don't it!

Bly

Pretty sure Oce will discount any inks that have less than 3 months or so life.
If your guys don't do that - send em back or cry to your rep.
We go through them fairly fast though anyway.