• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Job Board

packman

Its got to the point where I'm lost in what I'm doing at work.

I've got job sheets and post its all over the place.

Do any of you have a job production board at your place of work.

I'm looking at putting one together but can't figure out the best layout.

I need it to have things on like, to design, to quote, to process etc and then put dates in and cstomer name.

Can anybody upload a pic of yours for ideas please?

Cheers Mark

2B

we have SEVERAL large dry erase boards on the walls. Each board is marked as to what it is, PRODUCTION, DESIGNS, ETC... this works best for us b/c whomever is walking by can do a quick glance and see what each order needs done to it, save on having to print paper updates, and its easy to edit/update (get NUMEROUS pen colors) EDIT: when we write on the boards in short hand or abbreviations, otherwise too much writing.

Graffix Detail

Production board

I've tried various wipe board ideas but keep returning to 'T' cards and holders.

The T card holds all the contact and order info and moves from 'design' into 'await order' into booked in' to 'complete' in our case. You can also add notes at any time. Wipe boards mean rewriting things regularly and I haven't time for that.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
We have a dry erase board that hardly ever gets updated. It just doesn't work for us.

But our one wall has two 4x8s of 10mil coro attached to it. That's where we hang all our clipboards. There's two columns of four for each day of the week, outsourced, sketches, pending approval, screen printing and embroidery. That's how we organize our jobs.

EricRamse

Make it basic so it's flexible. You can just fill in the details.

We've got a 4x8 dry erase that has just 4 header columns (Customer, Due Date/Time, Project Name, Details) with nice wide rows for hand-writing out the pertinent details. We've got a tack board underneath it to tack our job envelopes to. That's it, your job board should be a snapshot..an overview, not an encyclopedia.

Marlene

we made a dry erase board from white plexi, marked off a grid with .125" wide black vinyl stripes. it has 5 areas across and 4 down so we have the entire month in view. below that is a rack that hold the work orders for those jobs.

FS-Keith

We have a dry erase board that hardly ever gets updated. It just doesn't work for us.

But our one wall has two 4x8s of 10mil coro attached to it. That's where we hang all our clipboards. There's two columns of four for each day of the week, outsourced, sketches, pending approval, screen printing and embroidery. That's how we organize our jobs.

we had that for 15 years but I got tired of everybody searching the wall for a single job and wasting time. Instead I have a bin with three sections. I seperate into. New jobs, Jobs on layout. Material printed/cut, Jobs ready for install. Designer just has to look through new jobs and jobs on layout and installer just looks through jobs ready to install. ect

GraphixUnlimited

I ve got 2 clipboards on the go. One has all my to do orders which are dated and ordered as such. The other clipboard is full of blank order sheets... purty simple.

:)

Gene@mpls

I have struggled with this for years- multipule dry erase boards in different
configurations. This year I made a spreadsheet for jobs and shared it so
it could be open on our design stations as well as the ptint sta and a station
by out main work table. This works for us! I was so encouraged that I spent
several hundred dollars to have a online database coded with an intake form
and seperate views for production, printing and overall- the first two with
only the fields that pertain to each- and the all view with all fields. I am
in Memphis now- I can post picts next week if any one is interested. Please excuse the errors- using Galaxy tab and I have mostly thumbs I am afraid.

I have a system that I implemented in my own shop with 30+ employees and have put into practice at multiple other sign companies.

Personally I found a dry erase didnt work well for me but many clients have added it to the system.

I have described it a few times on S101 but in short...I create a binder or a spreadsheet the first column is your Job Number (when implemented your job number also becomes your invoice number)...I have a complementary system for quotes/potential projects.

the next columns are Date Job In, Date Due, Design Completed, Design Approved, Materials Ordered, Production Completed, Delivery/Install/Customer Pick -Up, Billed, Follow up.

With multiple employees we had them initial and date when each process was completed so we knew who was responsible. With this system I can tell at a glance the status of each job and if all processes have been completed.

I have had customers who have had this updatable online/viewable & editable by all employees, to 2 man shops that use a dry-erase board.

This makes filing jobs, and locating old jobs very easy.

I would be very surprised if a program like Signvox doesnt have some of these same features available enabling you to eliminate multiple systems and simplify the process/paperwork/etc/

Rydaddy

Signvox does have a Job Board. I'm surprised Kevin hasn't been on here yet to chime in. We started using it full-time Sept. 1st. As in I started enforcing , "you don't have a choice - if it happens inside this building it starts and ends with SignVox." From this time forward.

The job board is one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on it (Sign Vox).

Kevin-shopVOX

Signvox does have a Job Board. I'm surprised Kevin hasn't been on here yet to chime in. We started using it full-time Sept. 1st. As in I started enforcing , "you don't have a choice - if it happens inside this building it starts and ends with SignVox." From this time forward.

The job board is one of the main reasons I pulled the trigger on it (Sign Vox).

I like your policy in your shop :) Thanks for your support!

Yes SignVOX does have an electronic, sortable, in-line editable for speedy updating, easy to use job board. I've included a few screen shots so you can see. The pink lines mean the job due date is past due, the yellow means the current state (i.e design, production etc) is past due. the green, red & yellow dots signify what is done, isn't done and is in process. It can also be sorted into a snapshot of what is in install, design and production. If anyone wants to see a demo let me know.
jobboard_1.jpg

jobboard_2.jpg

weaselboogie

I have a series of bins starting from beginning to end of job. Quote, quote approval, art, waiting on art, art approval, order materials, waiting on materials, production, invoice" Each bin is labeled either red or green. I try and go through and refresh myself frequently, but I only need to work in the bins that are green.

I love the idea of having a job board to see everything at a glance, but if it has a job folder, it would seem a bit redundant to me.

Kevin-shopVOX

I have a series of bins starting from beginning to end of job. Quote, quote approval, art, waiting on art, art approval, order materials, waiting on materials, production, invoice" Each bin is labeled either red or green. I try and go through and refresh myself frequently, but I only need to work in the bins that are green.

I love the idea of having a job board to see everything at a glance, but if it has a job folder, it would seem a bit redundant to me.
Essentially you've done the same thing just with more bins yet you lack the advantage of quickly identifying a status of a job or someone else in your shop to be able to without thumbing through file folders. If you are a one man shop I can see it being redundant but job boards are a core tool for quick job status. The dry erase or manual ones work well but require a lot of effort on keeping it updated and accurate. Yet doing so makes those customer calls easy to answer for anyone when they go hey where's my job at. The SignVOX job board is easy to add jobs to, update and organize. It is a vast improvement over manual boards. Since SV has unlimited users all staff can monitor and update the board to check job status and keep it fresh as the job progresses. It works well on a mobile device as well so you or a sales person can be away from the shop and still see your jobs and their status. Let's see you try and put those multiple 4x8 dry erase boards in your pocket. :)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I thinking about one of those big wheels...like the one on the Price is Right.

I would put my job sheets on each numbered spot and just give it a whirl. Customers would pay extra to have their job sheet posted on a "most likely" spot.

JB