• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just getting started!

beantown

Hello all. I am new to the sign business and hope to learn a lot from this forum. I was a commercial plumber for 30 years and retired, now I would like to open a small shop here doing simple vinyl signs and see where that takes me. Please be patient if I ask questions, LOL
David

Maddogmike

Hello David, I started out of my garage at 55yrs old. Graphics has always been my passion but my art work was in concrete. Won many awards for turning concrete into art. Finally bought some equipment started by word of mouth and now this year it has taken off. So ask as many questions and read and watch videos and trial and error will be your best friend. You could also find a part-time job at a sign shop and learn there too. I was lucky to have a friend in the business so that helped immensely in the beginning.

beantown

Hello David, I started out of my garage at 55yrs old. Graphics has always been my passion but my art work was in concrete. Won many awards for turning concrete into art. Finally bought some equipment started by word of mouth and now this year it has taken off. So ask as many questions and read and watch videos and trial and error will be your best friend. You could also find a part-time job at a sign shop and learn there too. I was lucky to have a friend in the business so that helped immensely in the beginning.

Thanks Maddogmike! Will do my best.

2B

the search function here will be a great asset as a lot of the questions have already been addressed.
If you are a visual learner, then YOUTUBE will be a great help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, the 'Search' button is great for newbies. Something else would be to attend as many sign conventions as you can, but be sure they are geared towards what niche you want to be into. You don't wanna go to a t-shirt convention, if you only wanna do Cor-X signs, so check them out, take classes and get lotsa hands-on experience. Which brings to mind something else, you should try working for another sign shop to find out how to do a lotta different things and see what you're good at.

pinkiss

Hi David newbie here as well, what sort of equipment you got, also any connections contacts from past business you could use, every tradesmen needs a sign, how are you with tools like photoshop corel or adobe illustrator
I found so far its easy enough to buy equipment and tools etc, business side thou is another story, every town/city etc have their own shops that have good long standing record so your new to all this, only advantage is you could do it cheaper, thou again requires a lot of practice as you can fit a lot into vinyl roll or waste half on simple work, first get some different materials to get grip for them,every vinyl is different ive still no clue on oracal numbers, but only way to learn is to make mistakes, get some spare vinyl design type cut weed rinse repeat, age isn't important its getting connections training and doing work to see how it comes out, Ive got myself needed machinery software, even business training course but last two months my plotter been idle ive been flicking with designs, website, networking and my brains just wont pull it,seems a lot to do but suddenly reality and motivation is down.As came to realize networking and advertising is a proper clutch - as im not really social media type person, nor door to door caller,anyway thats my issue, dont want to bum you out just my story here. Software is easy enough to learn, communications at your age could actually be a benefit any contacts you might have or know as even small jobs will give you practice. I know some say try it out in some sign shop but reality is many who do well wont take you or let you near equipment that could possibly go into 4 digits easily but if works worth a try just to see how pros do it.
Id say get diff mobile number that would be easy to remember name your company, even if you dont have a site print some signs on your best car/truck nothing fancy just do signs need a sign, would be my advice once you cant do some simple lettering jobs and some design, in other words take it easy but do your research and learning, its not business type where you get busy just because you got equipment.GL

rjssigns

Hello all. I am new to the sign business and hope to learn a lot from this forum. I was a commercial plumber for 30 years and retired, now I would like to open a small shop here doing simple vinyl signs and see where that takes me. Please be patient if I ask questions, LOL
David

Find a local tech college and take a basic Illustrator and Photoshop class. It will be time and money well spent. Other than that do like Gino said. Focus on a niche and learn all you can. Also don't be afraid to make mistakes. I've been at this over 25 years and still screw stuff up from time to time.