• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just Got a big job

BPSAFF

I just landed a big job that I didnt think I was going to get. So its a time sensitive job (like you have never heard that) Well this job is for 45,000 8" x 10". They also have to be contour cut. I will print on 3M IJ40 and laminated.
I have a JV-33 that I run 7 hours out of an 8 hour day. I have a HP 500FB (without the roll to roll option) that also runs 7 hours out of an 8 hour day. We only work one regular shift and no weekends. Here is the catch....I have (1) month the complete the job. The total job will justify buying a new roll to roll and it will be a recurring job, twice a year.
Should I buy a roll to roll and dedicate this job to that printer for a month then I will have an extra roll to roll to be able to take on more work after this job or just bow up and work late & weekends. I have the cash to buy another printer and cutter. So if I buy one anyone out there recommend a roll to roll and cutter for speed?

Thanks for any response

2B

Get another machine.
you seem to already bee at your limit, and if a current machine fails (knock on wood) what are you going to do? besides loose production while the machine is being repaired.

machine suggestion is get one from a company that you are already familiar with. cuts down on the learning curve.

Circleville Signs

If it is a recurring job, AND you have a contract for it, you may seriously want to consider looking at this as an opportunity to go with some type of flatbed.

ProWraps

sub it out. do nothing. collect money twice a year while going about your regular business.

you have no idea how much labor that is. your print capabilities are the least of your worries.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
sub it out. do nothing. collect money twice a year while going about your regular business.

you have no idea how much labor that is. your print capabilities are the least of your worries.

I'm thinking Pro is right.
Without some automated finishing/trimming gear it is going to eat up a large amount of labor hours just to get 45k of anything cut.

wayne k
guam usa

Desert_Signs

+1.

We spent 3 days printing, cutting, and weeding 3000 2"x3" badges (along with our other jobs). Simple outline, easy weeding.

45k? No way would I do that in house and I have pretty much the identical equipment as the OP. I was hating myself for not subbing out the 3k.

ETA: And to the OP - we have an FB500 and made our own roll to floor. Well, we don't let it hit the floor, but it works fine for feeding, just have to manually roll it. Cost about $20.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd also tend to agree on outsourcing this sort of volume. We run a similar job monthy but a much lower volume. A few thousand a month, 8" x 9" on Oracal intermediate. Ours is also a ton of different designs which makes it more tedious. Run them all on our JV33. Using a 60" roll you can nicely fit 7 across with .15" spacing. We did tell our client that individual designs much be run in multiples of 7 though. All the artwork is vector and all are full bleed. Since it's calendered vinyl we had to test a bit at first to find one that would not curl at the edges after being cut. When we start a big run we just queue them up in groups of about 56 peices using step and repeat in Flexi, add a -.1 contour cut and send away. Depending on the number of a single design we limit individual print groups to at most 70 pieces to minimize things getting off at all on the cutter end of things.... Queue up an entire rolls worth right before we leave and go home. In the morning we have a full printed roll ready to sit and dry for at least a full day. Then load it on the cutter and start sending the cut jobs. Then weeding and cutting them all apart. Labor intensive for sure but we do make some nice jingle on them. I'd not want to try 45k though.

Rodi

I would sub it out. Silk screening could be a possibility or flexo, you should research it out.

Salmoneye

+++++1,000 Silk Screening and die cut, or flexo. What would this job take on a flexo press, 4 hours? with no weeding.

rjssigns

SUB IT OUT. A good offset press will run that job in an hour. With pre-press work, pre-flighting and post press finishing a good shop can turn that job in 2 days. I had the opportunity to run a 5 color Komori press. 24"x36" sheets @ 18,000 per hour and it could go faster.
Like Pro said sub it out and enjoy your life.

J

john1

Yeah sub it out, Nothing wrong with outsourcing and making some money from companies who are set up for huge volume and can offer wholesale pricing.

I have a business friend who just did a few hundred thousand brochures for a company, Yeah he subbed it out and collected a few grand.

Typestries

Sounds like a neat job. If you'd like an outsource quote, send a PM or email. The quantity is no issue for us. We may be able to make you a good buck with little effort.

BPSAFF

I was leaning toward subbing the job. Just needed that little push. I appreciate all of your input and I do agree that working smart is much better than working hard to make the same amount of money. The 45,000 decals will be divided up into 15 different designs with different amounts for each logo. I have been working with this guy for over a year and he has been having me print samples for the demo items which he is applying my printed decals to. He has been approved as a vendor and his product has been picked up by Lowe's who will begin the distribution of his product with my decal on in through out 15 different states. He just came out of the blue this past Wednesday and said he received the approval and will need 22k to 45k decals printed with in a month. Will let me know the exact # this week. If I sub this out I am now worried that it will not look like the product that was approved by Lowes. The guy never told me that he would be dealing with production numbers like this. All the samples were printed on 3M IJ40 with an over-laminate. I plan on getting on the phone with the two companies that expressed interest here that will sub and a the ability to do this on Monday. Do yall have any experience with any companies out there and if so can you let me know the name of the company. The only company I have ever sub decals out to has been Stouse. Thanks again for your time on this matter and I appreciate your knowledge and experience.

BPSAFF

ETA: And to the OP - we have an FB500 and made our own roll to floor. Well, we don't let it hit the floor, but it works fine for feeding, just have to manually roll it. Cost about $20.[/QUOTE]

lol...also built a roll to roll for our FB500 and it cost about the same! I guess we saved ourself $9950.00! Would like to see a pic of yours engineering if you ever get time. Thanks for your advice.

Desert_Signs

ETA: And to the OP - we have an FB500 and made our own roll to floor. Well, we don't let it hit the floor, but it works fine for feeding, just have to manually roll it. Cost about $20.

lol...also built a roll to roll for our FB500 and it cost about the same! I guess we saved ourself $9950.00! Would like to see a pic of yours engineering if you ever get time. Thanks for your advice.[/QUOTE]

I was at the shop this morning and almost took a pic. It's a couple plates with notched brackets that bolt in where the wheel jacks go. Then just a steel pipe that sits in the notches. It took a couple tries to get it perfectly aligned, but we can run full rolls of banner material without noticeable skew.

Smacka

Heck, I just did 8,000 3x5 contour cut and laminated decals BY MYSELF, and that included design time, print, lam, cut and weed in an 8 hour shift. I am one of those people who hates subbing things out that I know I can do in house. Or maybe I'm a tight-wad, but for only 45k I'd work a few days overtime considering its only twice a year.

Go going on getting the job though! :toasting:

LarryB

Sub it out to Stouse or Gill Studios and have them screen printed. I could not imagine digitally printing these.

J

john1

Heck, I just did 8,000 3x5 contour cut and laminated decals BY MYSELF, and that included design time, print, lam, cut and weed in an 8 hour shift. I am one of those people who hates subbing things out that I know I can do in house. Or maybe I'm a tight-wad, but for only 45k I'd work a few days overtime considering its only twice a year.

Go going on getting the job though! :toasting:

8,000 is doable in house but we are talking 45k (about 6x more than that lol)

Why shut down your machines for 1 job when they are already running full speed ahead day in and day out? Sub it, collect money and be collecting more money with the current machines running like they are. Simple.