• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Just how frickin' stupid can people really be........... ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm quoting a guy for repairing a sign. Seems, while delivering some goods, he ran into an electric sign and tore the end off of it. So, he left me his phone number and e-mail address. I called the following day and gave him a verbal quote and he said fine, I'll get back to ya. The next day, he left a message on the shop phone over the weekend saying he needs it in writing. I said I need your physical address in order to generate a quote in our system. I didn't hear from him, so I called him again. I explained again, that I need his business physical address He said, I already gave you my e-mail address. I said, I know, but my software needs your business address. He asked, why, I gave you my e-mail address ?? I told him again, the system will not let me generate a quote/invoice without that information. He said, I'll hafta talk to my boss and see if she wants to do that.

How frickin' stupid can these morons be these days ?? :banghead:

I'm definitely getting paid in full, before I start this job. :noway:

FatCat

Maybe they didn't admit to the sign owner they hit the sign, or asked him to hold off calling his insurance so he could have the opportunity to pay for it himself and is just shopping around and scared you'll report him to an insurance company or something...?

flyplainsdrifta

I'm quoting a guy for repairing a sign. Seems, while delivering some goods, he ran into an electric sign and tore the end off of it. So, he left me his phone number and e-mail address. I called the following day and gave him a verbal quote and he said fine, I'll get back to ya. The next day, he left a message on the shop phone over the weekend saying he needs it in writing. I said I need your physical address in order to generate a quote in our system. I didn't hear from him, so I called him again. I explained again, that I need his business physical address He said, I already gave you my e-mail address. I said, I know, but my software needs your business address. He asked, why, I gave you my e-mail address ?? I told him again, the system will not let me generate a quote/invoice without that information. He said, I'll hafta talk to my boss and see if she wants to do that.

How frickin' stupid can these morons be these days ?? :banghead:

I'm definitely getting paid in full, before I start this job. :noway:
hell yes you are. yeah. gotta love it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they didn't admit to the sign owner they hit the sign, or asked him to hold off calling his insurance so he could have the opportunity to pay for it himself and is just shopping around and scared you'll report him to an insurance company or something...?

That's close. However, they have the guy on camera tearing the end of the sign off, one of the employees ran out and tried to get him to stop, but when he got out of the truck, he said.... duh, I didn't know I hit it.

So, they are trying to get it cheaper, by paying for it outta pocket, instead of going through the insurance company and paying a deductible and then having their premiums go up.. Insurance wants a whole new flex face and the face itself is not damaged, just the trim that hides the hardware. I'm about 1/2 the insurance and the owner is fine with what we're gonna do.

Now, get a load of this........ the sign shop (from California) who makes the signs for this franchise is telling him, he hasta get both sides replaced. When he asked why, he said because one side will be faded a little more than the other and they won't match. Can you f*ckin' believe that one ?? The sign is only 2.5 years old and they're already admitting to a fade problem. Hahahaaaa.​

FatCat

Sounds like the typical "bleed the bastard" syndrome many in this country like to pull on everyone...not surprised.

Mainframe

Ha Ha I got one of these coming in the morning with 500 bucks cash LOL gotta love it! Glad I am not the only one dealing with these types! Clowns called me 6 times from meetings with idiotic question after question, price just kept going up!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the last 45 or so years, I've seen plenty in this industry, let alone everywhere else...... and then, they multiply. Scarey, huh ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
A call at 6:15am...

Do ya'll do wraps?
"Yes but your from GA and we are in Texas, we're 1000 miles away from you"
That's OK I can install it
"Ok, but we don't print wraps here, we are just installers"
Oh, OK. So if I have it printed will ya'll install it?
"Not 1000 miles away"
Oh, well I can come to you
"Thought you said you install?"

papabud

Lone Wolf
its ok i had a customer wanting to drop off a vehicle friday afternoon for lettering and his questions was.
how many minutes will it take.
the install itself would only take 30-40 minutes but to measure produce and install while doing all the other things that had to get done it put it in the several hours.
i told him drop it off friday and pick it up monday at the end of day.
he was kind of confused as to why his job would take so long.
personally i dont like trying to rush work out the door. this is why i choose not to have a drive up window.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, here's someone totally different.

Gave a written quote to a customer. They e-mailed back that it looks good and they want to proceed. Okay, well..... thank you for the job. The next step is, we must get together to go over your needs for the information on the sign. E-mail back to me says, are you in right now and how long will you be there ?? Yes, I'm here and I'll be here til about 5:30, unless you need me to stay later. Next e-mail from her says.... Okay, I'll be in sometime tomorrow morning. :doh:

HecklnDecalr

I had a Lady come into our shop looking for a Boat License number. Its Law here that you have to have it in 4" tall lettering displayed clearly on your boat on both sides. We made it and when she showed up to pick it up she said it wasn't what she wanted. I asked her what was wrong with it. She replied "I wanted the one side mirrored, these won't look the same". To which I replied " You can't do that, the numbers won't read right". She looked at me like I was the moron and told me that of course you could...why couldn't you?! after 5 more minutes of trying to explain to her how numbers and letters work and how people read the English language I finally just took the decal over to the window and put it up so you could see the mirrored decal and asked her to read it. Still took her about 10 seconds to fully process that. That was a truly stunning display idiocy. Morons are multiplying at an alarming rate, something needs to be done.... Education or Castration!!

KMC

Graphic Artist
my favorite phone calls are:
whats the turn around time for getting a sign made?
do you make stickers with the peal away backing?
Hi are my signs ready? (cause we only make one a week WTF)
how much for 2 rectangle signs, nothing fancy just some lettering and something flat?

It's like a yard sign customer I dealt with a while back who came in asking for 10 yard signs for a car show. The signs were to have the name of the car show and an "arrow pointing left" and he wanted them two sided. Aaaaaalrighty then. I did a layout right in front of him and showed him two sides with an arrow pointing left on on one side and an arrow pointing right on the opposite side. He couldn't seem to grasp the concept that if the arrow points left on one side, the arrow on the opposite side has to point the opposite direction. I also explained to him that because they are double sided, it didn't have to have a left arrow because he could flip the sign around and have the arrow pointing any way he'd like. I thought the guy's head was going to explode from the confusion. I drew a left arrow on a post it note and a right arrow on the other side of the post it note to illustrate what I was trying to explain and he still didn't seem to get it. The guy actually started raising his voice and getting sh**ty with me because he thought I was insulting his intelligence. Finally, after about five minutes of this crap, he realized I was telling him straight and ordered the signs.

Once had someone call in on Friday afternoon and ask for a wrap estimate. We got them an estimate and then asked if we could come do the wrap...that day....with us designing it...at THEIR location

OhioSigns

My favorites are the idiots that call or stop in and ask if you make "whatever" then ask how much without giving you any information at all to know what they are needing beyond the generic term decal, sign, etc. I usually tell them well anywhere between my shop minimum ($45) and a million. I need more information to get an accurate price.