• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just like grayscale... but red

Team Valhalla

I've got a customer that has an image that they want in different shades of red.

Is there a way to do something along the line of the grayscale feature where it turns everything different shades of red?

Thanks in advance.

TV

Chasez

In photoshop you can just add an overlay layer with a colour fill with the red colour your wanting and play with the opacity.

1. create new layer
2. fill (shift f5)
3. use: color (pick colour)
4. change blending mode to overlay and play with the opacity (25% works well)

Chaz

MikePro

derail, but random interesting note:
photographers used to redscale images by loading film backwards into their camera. Red gets absorbed first and thus washes out the other colors in the spectrum. pretty neat trick!

never used corel, but i'd image you could just desaturate/greyscal the image, and set it as a darken/multiply layer over a red base-layer?

Brink

There is no red on most digital printers. There is Magenta and Yellow. These two colors are applied to the media which produce red. If you need solid red, that's cool. If you need variable shades of red, you will end up with tiny dots of magenta and yellow in the lighter areas. It will look like light red from a distance, but a closeup view will reveal the dot pattern that makes it up. Lithography can do what you are talking about using a single red color and halftone plates. Lithography is limited in size though. If you have a digital printer, you may be able to clean out one channel and use a red ink in that channel. It just depends on your setup and if the job is worth the trouble/expense of setting up for it. Maybe this is the kind of job that should be outsourced?

scott pagan

save raster continuous image as bitmap, assign spot color to bitmap, print.

if it's vector graphics, assign spot color, adjust spot color fill % for each object as desired, print.

niksagkram

I've got a customer that has an image that they want in different shades of red.

Is there a way to do something along the line of the grayscale feature where it turns everything different shades of red?

Thanks in advance.

TV
attachment.php

Like this? In Corel Draw, Bitmaps/Mode/Duotone. Under Type, select Monotone and then double click on colour to bring up swatch. Select appropriate colour (play with settings if necessary) and click OK

Good luck,

Mark

Attachments

• Red Jay.jpg
    Red Jay.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 149

Brink

Which ever way you do it is great. But when you print it, you'll see that what I said about digital printers not printing true red gradients is true.

:popcorn:

MikePro

I know you've found what you like, buuuuuut just throwing it back out there.

desaturated image overlayed over red base layer with gradient:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 9.03.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 9.03.54 AM.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 150

Zac

Mediocre Designer
Photoshop also has a 'Colorize' checkbox under Image->Adjustments->Hue/Saturation and you it will allow you to do any color like that by just moving the slider. You can also change the brightness or saturation in the same window.

MikePro

Photoshop also has a 'Colorize' checkbox under Image->Adjustments->Hue/Saturation and you it will allow you to do any color like that by just moving the slider. You can also change the brightness or saturation in the same window.

hot damn, way easier than my suggestion.
looks great too!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.42.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-25 at 12.42.07 PM.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 146

niksagkram

This is the way I would usually do this, but, the question was asked in the Corel forum, so I gave a Corel solution. :) :Big Laugh

Mark