• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Just so I have this straight.........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know things changed almost a year ago, when the new owner(s) took over, but things seem to be going downhill in a few areas, that I wasn't aware of..... or at least believed to be different.
  • Anyone can join this place with or without any sign knowledge or background ??
  • Anyone can hawk anything they want anywhere on the entire site ??
  • You no longer need to be a Merchant Member to sell to members ??
  • Anyone can blurt out sales pitches anywhere they choose ??
  • You don't need any backing to dumb statements regarding this industry ??
If this is a mistake, please correct me.

:thankyou: Gino

Marlene

I've noticed it too and wonder why anyone would bother to pay for a merchant member when others don't and offer up services.

Johnny Best

The owner assigned two moderators to overlook these problems.
Whose Anyone? Is that a new person.
As far as dumb statements regarding the Industry, don't see how that one is going to be stopped.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The owner assigned two moderators to overlook these problems.
Whose Anyone? Is that a new person.
As far as dumb statements regarding the Industry, don't see how that one is going to be stopped.

Nope, it's like the old question...... How Long is a Chinaman.

Billct2

• Anyone can join this place with or without any sign knowledge or background ?? Seems like it
  • Anyone can hawk anything they want anywhere on the entire site ?? Have noticed this a few times
  • You no longer need to be a Merchant Member to sell to members ?? Have noticed this a few times also
  • Anyone can blurt out sales pitches anywhere they choose ?? Have noticed this a few times too
  • You don't need any backing to dumb statements regarding this industry ?? That hasn't changed, it was always that way...:rolleyes:
What I have noticed it the increase in the number of "technical" issues with various printers which doesn't interest me much.
And the decrease in the number of long time users

Marlene

• Anyone can join this place with or without any sign knowledge or background ?? Seems like it
  • Anyone can hawk anything they want anywhere on the entire site ?? Have noticed this a few times
  • You no longer need to be a Merchant Member to sell to members ?? Have noticed this a few times also
  • Anyone can blurt out sales pitches anywhere they choose ?? Have noticed this a few times too
  • You don't need any backing to dumb statements regarding this industry ?? That hasn't changed, it was always that way...:rolleyes:
What I have noticed it the increase in the number of "technical" issues with various printers which doesn't interest me much.
And the decrease in the number of long time users

the long time users has dropped off and I think it is because of all the printer questions which don't interest me either. I miss the design threads, real design threads that is. now it seems there are only "what font is this?" and "my printer no work, me thinks broken?" threads

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whatever the content of the threads, it's still YOUR choice to participate or not and to what degree you want to be helpful. Many things don't interest me, so I either don't engage or just move on.

Right now, I'm just concentrating on the kinda of members we get, the discourtesy of hawking their wares and total disrespect for giving sh!tas$$ answers with no regards for being even close to the truth.

As for people leaving, there are many reasons for the really good one to have gone. From Maniac, Jillbeans, Dan Striker..... to Danny A and Joey Diaz. Then, you have the natural reasons for leaving such as Old Paint, Shovelhead, Matt and J Hill. I'm sure the list goes on, but like you said, for every good one we lose, we seem to get about 175 lousy ones. Quite frustrating when you can't speak to someone..... one on one and they have no idea of the language we use.

Oh well, like I said, it's all about the new concept of anything goes. No thought to rules or regulations or respect for your Merchant Members.

Last edited:

Marlene

Whatever the content of the threads, it's still YOUR choice to participate or not and to what degree you want to be helpful. Many things don't interest me, so I either don't engage or just move on.

Right now, I'm just concentrating on the kinda of members we get, the discourtesy of hawking their wares and total disrespect for giving sh!tas$$ answers with no regards for being even close to the truth.

As for people leaving, there are many reasons for the really good one to have gone. From Maniac, Jillbeans, Dan Striker..... to Danny A and Joey Diaz. Then, you have the natural reasons for leaving such as Old Paint, Shovelhead, Matt and J Hill. I'm sure the list goes on, but like you said, for every good one we lose, we seem to get about 175 lousy ones. Quite frustrating when you can't speak to someone..... one on one and they have no idea of the language we use.

Oh well, like I said, it's all about the new concept of anything goes. No thought to rules or regulations or respect for your Merchant Members.

true about the content and if a person makes the choice to partticiapte or not but that content, or seemly lack of content is directly connected to yoru first point, anyone can join. once a site allows that, all the rest of the list happens.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
With the old regime we purchased a MM and we were added to the list and had a designation on our profile. When posts of non-merchant members appeared they were taken down almost immediately. When we purchased a MM this time around we didn't get added to the list and had no designation so no one would actually know we were merchant members. That and the fact that it seems that anyone can sell to members is making us doubt whether it is worth the $$$.

bannertime

With the old regime we purchased a MM and we were added to the list and had a designation on our profile. When posts of non-merchant members appeared they were taken down almost immediately. When we purchased a MM this time around we didn't get added to the list and had no designation so no one would actually know we were merchant members. That and the fact that it seems that anyone can sell to members is making us doubt whether it is worth the $$$.

Earlier today I tried to find a Merchant and the list is nearly bone dry. I still view you and similar members as Merchants and typically trust y'all's judgement, but you're right, there isn't a way to determine if a new member or even older inactive members are Merchants.

I think the new owner possibly regrets this purchase, ha. Didn't realize sign people are a breed of their own. The new account creation still has "requirements" on actually being in the sign industry or involved in one way or another and supposedly there's still a vetting process before the account is actually activated. Yet we login some days and there's nothing but spam.

papabud

Lone Wolf
there has been a lot of spam as of late. and lots of people trying to sell what ever.
and i do not ever even look at the what font is this threads.
but over all as a whole. this site is a great resource for myself and many others.
if you can wade through the misinformation and junk garbage its not half bad

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I haven't been around for awhile and just recently started poking my head around again. I noticed all the pimping threads and just assumed I'd forgotten how often they popped up. Obviously, it wasn't just me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
there has been a lot of spam as of late. and lots of people trying to sell what ever.
and i do not ever even look at the what font is this threads.
but over all as a whole. this site is a great resource for myself and many others.
if you can wade through the misinformation and junk garbage its not half bad

You're completely correct. :goodpost: I never intended this to be a negative towards the site itself. It's still about the only place to get information about the sign industry for free on the internet. It's just that it's become a free-for-all for anyone and anything or company. There's no reason we need to be careful wading through these waters. We're all supposed to be safe and sound (for the most part) against outside intruders, trolls and hucksters. Afterall, isn't that why it's a SIGN FORUM ??

jtiii

Beautiful day, great to be alive!
Question - if somebody posts "hey I'm looking for X to be fabbed for me" and I fab X, can I reply "I can make that for you" if I'm not an MM? (I know I can reply, you know what I'm asking here)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In the old days, if you could make it, you were basically allowed to respond after a period of time. It was expected of you or just considered a courtesy to let a Merchant Member respond first, as they paid to be here. If no one ponied up after a few days, then it sorta become 'fair game'. However, many people would PM behind the scenes and solicit work, which I had done in my very early days one time and found out, that was frowned upon, that I should sign up as a Merchant Member and then go after it. Only one way the higher ups would know that and it was simply.... they could see what went on back there. I became a Merchant Member for years and served many members on this site and helped quite a few out of problems. That's the name of the game in my opinion, but it's changed........ and greatly so.

There will always be several ways to interpret the rules and bylaws, but with the present situation, no one seems to give a rat's behind. So, it becomes a thing of integrity vs. money hungry or lack of couth.

Bly

I guess if the owners don't care who advertises then why should we.
It would be a tough call to see the value in paying for merchant membership though.

Any internet forum is full of people with little actual knowledge who want to be helpful/appear experienced so they post up any lame explanation to a problem. Take all info with a grain of salt.

Johnny Best

Years ago it was all about sign painting, later on the Gerber cutters arrived, then inkjet printers, software to do all the drawing, cnc machines and latex printers. You do not need any art talent to be in signs anymore. Years from now it will be how do I fix my Sign 24/7 Robot model that runs my machines. She has shut down with a broken synapsis.
I like it here, its has its good topics and boring ones also. I always think its funny on a Sunday morning when the Hari Krisna guy shows up hawking his wares and has taken over the place.