• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just stops printing and states Not Connected in VersaWorks

LivinLarge

Title says it all! VP540 using VersaWorks

Might finish a print...might go an inch then stop might go 2 feet then stop. Printer screen reads Now Processing...but Versaworks goes from printing to Not Connected.

No software or hardware upgrades at all. No new install of any software. No updates to VersaWorks.

VP540 directly connected to computer...via X-Over cable...computer does not go online (no virus protection)...computer does not do any editing or graphics. Just runs VersaWorks for printer. Been this way for nearly 3 years.

Have loaded versaworks on laptop connected x-over cable started to print then it quit. So eliminated other computer. Used original and new x-over cable on laptop and got same results. So eliminated the original x-over cable.

Anyone had to replace NIC in a printer? Ever heard of it going bad? A main board symptom?

I am new...but promise you have read and read and looked and looked before asking...but I am stumped.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Any techs in the Pasadena California area???

Ordway Sign Supply SUCKS for service calls....or I should say lack of returning calls that need service!

Mainframe

Did you change your router? I would try a different router I had one go bad on me & stopping in the middle of a print was the problem so I switched to the one from my house & it fixed it.

LivinLarge

not using a router. printer directly connected to pc.

running latest version of versaworks....even if i wasn't...have been printing a year since last update or anything like that...the problem just started.

thanks for the Welcome!! :thankyou:

Bigdawg

Just Me
We had the same problem - out of the blue. Printer just didn't recognize that it was connected. It was a total networking issue - have you reset the printer IP in Versaworks just to make sure it's right?

LivinLarge

wrote down IP addy from VW(versaworks)...as i wasn't printing anything and all was connected.

I then "Initiated" versaworks...i restated it and it asked for the IP addy...i entered it. it recognized the printer and all looked good.

I loaded a file, picked profile, ripped it then sent it to print...it was 36" wide and after about 3" into the print....BAM...head stopped (screen on printer said "now precessing"...VW showed "Not Connected".

Before I started to try and fix it with a hammer...I left!

Now i know if I power everything down(PC and Printer Switch on back) then power PC then power Printer...VW will read Ready To Print.

WTH??!!!?!?!?!?

ova

Might try changing the cable from your PC to the printer. If the cord has been hanging down or has a bind at either plug end, a wire might have broken. I once found a bad cable where the wire was broken and sometimes made contact if you jiggled it.

Just a thought

Dave

PS When you get it fixed, please let us know how you did it. Could help someone down the road.

LivinLarge

Not the cable...have changed it out...

Not VW(versaworks updated version)...installed on another pc and still same situation...

Now...if i do just a cut lettering job...it doesn't seem to fail/disconnect.

Am truly STUMPED!!

Be glad to post when I get it fixed!!

Robert will give you guys a call in a bit!

Thanks!

DCaptDan

Is the printer firmware up to date? The VP should be at 3.80. You can also try updating the network card firmware on the printer.

rozankan

Printer not connecting

Based on the information you provided, it appears that a new mainboard may be required. It is very rare for a network card to go bad on the newer printers. As a last attempt you can try to do a factory reset on the printer and hopefully that may fix they problem. If not, then a mainboard replacement.

I'm sorry to hear you've had difficulties with local service. You may also want to contact NuSign Supply Inc. at 626-961-7688 or ABC Graphics 818-955-8475 for local service.

Hope this information helps.

Feel free to PM or call our Technical Support Department at 1-800-542-2307 and Press "1".

----------------------
Robert Ozankan
Senior Product Manager - Color Products
Roland DGA

graphicwizard

Any luck

Just curious if you've had any luck in getting your issue fixed. We have some what of the same problem though it's the opposite. We can print for days, but when it comes to cutting it just stops whenever it wants. We've updated everything we can, checked the ip address, bought a new router ect... Sometimes it will cut for a bit, stop and then start again, usually missing parts of what is to be cut. The printer is a Roland SP-540V using VersaWorks on Windows 7. It used to run fine on XP before we updated to 7 and tried again with XP and does the same thing on there now as well. Printer screen will show processing and versaworks show not connected when it decides to quit on us. We've tried calling roland and it seems they don't have any answers. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

splizaat

We've had that problem but the computer and the hard drives were going to sleep during printing. We set windows to not ever allow the hard drives to sleep and haven't had problems since.

ScrapWrapper

We bought the same printer and with in 3 months of use had all the same problems. Did computer up grade, check cables, software, ip, all the above and finally tech says it much be the "mainboard". They replaced it and it has worked perfect for the last year. Just stated having the same problems again. Tech is coming out tomorrow. I bet its your Motherboard.

yukon

The ANSWER IS... (I hope)

I've dealt with this same exact problem for 2 years, and FINALLY figured it out! Here it is....

The problem was a conflict with a remote access program I use called "TeamViewer". Teamviewer is always running in order for our shop to remote access the office (Versaworks) computer. Stumbled upon the conflict when I shut down Teamviewer while VersaWorks was running and the shut down caused Versaworks to crash. From that day forward I always disable Teamviewer before running Versaworks and haven't had a problem since. it's been at least a year now - no problem.

So, I would suggest disabling any remote access programs you have, be it Teamviewer, Go to meeting, etc.

Hope this helps!

Yukon

7_nebo_7

Yes I think it can be a problem at you case. But I'm running the printer direct from a laptop. It is not connected to a internet, and don't have any software related to a remote control. It connected direct to a printer used crossover cable. I have try different PC, different version of Windows.
I think maybe problem with network card firmware? Some body have that bin file, to update network controller?

DougWestwood

Print bad / cut OK?

Hi There,

Your comment about the problem printer doing cut jobs without the problem made me think
"Could it be a heater issue? A heater is broken and takes however long to stop the machine (2" - 2')?
Perhaps when the heater gets too hot, it shuts down your printer?"

Just a thought. Heaters have regulators and cores which can go bad.
Please post your solution!
- Doug
Vancouver