• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just treated myself to some RAM!

SignManiac

I had 4 gigs for a long while. I added 8 more last month and decided to fill the box up with an additional 8 for a total of 20 gigs.. Things seem to be running faster! I really like buying things for me :)

petesign

Wow, 20 gigs is a lot. So, you have 2 2-gig sticks, and 2 8-gig sticks?

I just went from 8 gigs to 16 this week, and LOVE it. I want a SSD next.

Last edited:

jc1cell

Was just pondering yesterday how much I want to add. Only have four slots. Two currently holding 2g sticks. So want to max it out!!!!

jc

SignaramaFL

"Educamate" me.

*If* you are being serious:

Every mother board comes with a set amount of memory that it can handle. So with that said, you have server motherboards and then standard PC mother boards. So say your mother board can only support 4gb and you buy 8gb. Your computer will only every utilize the 4gb because that is all that it is capable of processing. Also, if you don't know that much about memory, then make sure that you get the right standard type. There DDR, DDR2 (which is fairly standard in computers right now) and DDR3 (which would be more recent computers). Hope this helps if you really needed it.

weaselboogie

I usually go to crucial and let it run the scan. It will show you how much you have and how much your motherboard is capable of.

mountaingraphic

You also need to make sure your os can handle it. I maxed out at 8gb last week but had to goto windows7 64 before it would use all 8 and not the 4 gb 32 supports

SignManiac

My MB is the server type and came with 8 slots. I went to Crucial and let it scan mine. All of mine is DDR2 and the price has really come down over the years.

Mike F

If any one isn't sure about their PC specs, get Speccy from http://www.piriform.com/, It'll tell you pretty much everything you need to know, including whether or not you have any open RAM slots. CCleaner, Defraggler, and Recuva aren't bad utilities to have either. I use CCleaner at the end of every day, and Recuva has saved my ass on more than one occasion when I deleted something and then needed it back.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
is there a site that tells you where is the best spots to place ram? I have a MacPro with 8 slots and have heard that you can improve performance by having the largest size ram in specific spots. I have 2 (2mb), 2 (1mb) and 2 (512's)

Last edited:

njshorts

which release?

apple icon (top right > about this mac > more info)

if it's newer, it's ECC- need the model to figure out the max, should be 64GB.

jc1cell

*If* you are being serious:

Every mother board comes with a set amount of memory that it can handle. So with that said, you have server motherboards and then standard PC mother boards. So say your mother board can only support 4gb and you buy 8gb. Your computer will only every utilize the 4gb because that is all that it is capable of processing. Also, if you don't know that much about memory, then make sure that you get the right standard type. There DDR, DDR2 (which is fairly standard in computers right now) and DDR3 (which would be more recent computers). Hope this helps if you really needed it.

While I was aware of the info you posted, I was serious about being educated. One never knows when new info is out there so, just in case....:thumb:

Custom_Grafx

Wow, 20 gigs is a lot. So, you have 2 2-gig sticks, and 2 8-gig sticks?

I just went from 8 gigs to 16 this week, and LOVE it. I want a SSD next.

I recently got a Crucial M4 SSD - sata 3 interface. Adding PS, Ai, Versaworks, Bridge, my mail and calendar etc to startup items adds around an extra 4 seconds in boot time.