• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160 SP Error 46 Wiper

Auburnpeanut

First off thank you to anyone who helps. 6 months ago or so we started getting this error occasionally. I cleaned the rails and gears multiple times (trust me they were already way cleaner than some of the old pictures I have seen) as that is what all of the other threads say is the cause. It would seem to do the trick, but then sometime later it would start giving the error again. When it makes the error, it appears that the motor is trying to put the wiper in the rear or stowed position. That of course made me think that the sensor was either gummed up (it wasn't) or that the switch was going bad. I replaced the assembly with a refurbished one that we got. No problems until about 1 month or so after replacing. Over the last couple of months it has done it every now and then. Generally have to restart the machine a couple of times and it stops. I might send 30 or 40 things to print and it never will do it and then will just do it out of no where. It only appears to do it when it does a cleaning cycle before printing. Meaning if it starts printing right away without cleaning (as it does sometimes) then it never comes up. It only happens when it tries to run a cleaning cycle before printing. When I tell the machine to run a cleaning cylce, sometimes it will happen and sometimes it won't. The kicker is that I have never come in in the morning and had the error show up after any of the sleep cleaning cycles. It runs a sleep cleaning cycle every 4 hours. This is not our primary printer, we use it mainly for a few specific materials and overflow printing. Still it generally gets used anywhere from a few times a day to all day long each day. I cannot remember if when I replaced the assembly if I swapped out the step motor thinking it was just the switch that was bad or if I replaced the step motor as well. I have to try and go find the old parts in a box in the back. I was wondering if anyone else had problems similar to mine that did not end up just being dirty equipment. I have run the #test sensors and have verified that the switch is working. Everyone's thoughts would be appreciated.

Peanut

MikePro

did you de-inkify the switch? the machine only says the switch is working because it is plugged-in correctly, and completing a circuit, but not because it is functioning as intended.
the wiper is most likely operating, but the switch isn't triggered and the printer keeps moving the wiper outward until it is forced to stop an then throws a fit/the error.

facing the front of the printer, it would be under the right rail of the wiper towards where it parks. (sticking out of the side of a black/grey box under the rail)
don't bend it, but you should be able to press it (gently) and hear a click, and another click when you release it.
if not, keep scrubbing with foam swabs and cleaning solutions until you've broken-down all the ink that is most likely gummed-up all over it.

o, and :Welcome:2:signs101:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 5.38.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 5.38.11 PM.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 484

Auburnpeanut

Yes,

I did de-inkfy the switch. That was part of cleaning the assembly. I have verified that the switch is working both mechanically and electronically. And if you move the wiper out during the sensor test it will show that the switch has changed. The test allows you to lift and lower media bar lever, carriage on or off capping station, cover open close etc. So it appears that the machine is recognizing the difference in the switch being open and closed.

Auburnpeanut

MikePro that is why I replaced the assembly in the first place is because even though the switch appeared to be working I wanted to try out another one.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check the belt that actually moves the wiper back and forth. It could be stripped and just sliding instead of catching the wiper.

MikePro

o, my bad. long day, long read.
underside of the rails building-up ink and gears building-up ink are the only other two issues I can think of.

needs more pics, i guess. motor might just be shot, or the connecting gears may be stripped?
but then again, you've taken the whole-thing apart and replaced, and would have noticed for yourself... so i'm really out of ideas

Auburnpeanut

Check the belt that actually moves the wiper back and forth. It could be stripped and just sliding instead of catching the wiper.

Checked that as well already. It is almost as if the machine is telling itself to retract the wiper at the start of cleaning instead of undocking it. Makes me think that it is a problem with the step motor or the switch. I know that this is the second switch that it has happened on. I can't remember for sure if it is the same motor or second motor that it is happening on.

Auburnpeanut

MikePro, that is why I figured I would start asking you guys. I have tried just about everything I can think of and it is leading me more and more to think it is a short of some sort or another. I have replaced just about every part you can on various machines over the years and it just makes me scratch my head and laugh.