• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 160sp black dropping out after 3-6 passes

Thomga

This started about a week and a half ago. I am printing with Lyson inks, 6 color, so only 3 heads in use.
The black will print fine for three to six passes on a 6 pass unidirectional profile.
I have replaced the damper. cleared the line completely, multiple ink fills and head clean (ink drainer). I have also replaced the gasket on the brass fitting for the damper.
I checked the head adjustment... looks good.
I don't really want to replace the head since I just replaced head 2 about 3 months ago.
Any suggestions?

dmcprint

What does the nozzle test print look like?

Replacing the damper was a good start. Typically, the damper is a likely culprit. Replacing the captop is also a good suggestion since it will only do a cleaning properly if there is a good seal on the captop. Remember, caps and dampers are considered consumable parts and need to be replaced from time to time.

I would try swapping dampers from Magenta and Black. See if the problem stays with the black print head channel. If it does, you may have a cracked manifold on the print head. If it moves with the damper, then your problem is from the damper back.

J Hill Designs

no swap the line going into the head black for magenta - if your magenta head starts dropping out (with black ink running through it) it says its an ink line issue -- if they black head still drops (with mag. ink running through it) it is either the head or post head (captops, pumps)

artbot

the different colors are all chemically, exactly the same. any contamination will be color only and go away in a few minutes. there's no other way to isolate this issue without doing a damper swap.

dmcprint

Any luck?

It's safe to swap the dampers as part of troubleshooting. The amount of ink within a print head is very minimal and swapping dampers should not have an adverse effect as far as the ink is concerned. Also, take care not to drip ink on the print head boards.

Thomga

just out of curiosity, could the tip that the damper connects to on the head be bad and is it possible to change just that part? I have 4 dead heads here in the shop. could save me a bundle on purchasing a new head.