• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 color fall off The purple monster is making me want to ripp my hair out!

InOverMyHead

Someone help me please. I start a job. For about the first 12-14"s the printer prints the correct color, after that the color shifts and the tones are all over the place. Blacks and dark grey become red or brownish.

I make device skins. I am super new to this (5 months), brick and mortar, every tech that has been out not helpful in the least. To top it off I'm a girl which I think makes me an easy target for the tech to pass off and they do.

Anyways, I want to fix the problem myself, no more 150 an hour tech. I smart and willing please someone just point me in the right direction.

Could it be my dampers? O-rings (not 100% what they are to be honest) I am learning the purple beast one problem at a time.

...can someone just point me in the right direction.

CS-SignSupply

Replace the dampers and possibly the captops. Sounds like starvation which usually means a bad damper.

That significant of a drop off sounds like damper.

artbot

just push it over so that it crashes to the ground. ...push it forward, not backward. pushing it backward doesn't make a big of a crashy noise for some reason.

it does sound like ink starvation. but that can be tricky, a leak, or clog in a whole lot of places can cause this. first you have to figure out just what color/s is starving. is it obvious what color/s are starving? like green suddenly go yellow (cyan is starving)...

if you can't tell, to start, make a file of blocks of cyan, magenta, yellow, and black. make them big enough that the print should fail. some of these colors will print perfect. one will start to fade.

get back with the board with what color is starving/fading and what inkset you have so we can visualize your printer's set up (cmyk x2, or cmyklmlcSS, etc)

InOverMyHead

i think I got it.

Ok so I replaced all the dampers today. that didnt work, But I found an earlier post on this board.

this is what he wrote.
Fabritech
05-15-2008, 03:53 PM

I just got off the phone with a Triangle Ink tech. He said that the heads are most probably overheating and misfiring. He told me that the Epson heads are not supposed to operate in temps over 30 C, and are subject to misfiring and clogging when run at temps higher than that. He also said that no printer should be run for extended periods of time without intermittent head cleaning. I suppose I can try cooling the platen & seeing if that helps. Any thoughts?

So I left preheat on low,
turned off the print heat,
changed it to 16passBI
with a .4 pass delay and knock on wood no problems with the job that is printing now.

fingers crossed.

Any one else have a problem with heat? is there a solution?

thanks Candice =)

artbot

over heating jv3 is not a common issue. far less than 1% of breakdowns will be over heating. you may have stumbled upon a rare fix for a rare issue.

MikePro

my money's on ink starvation, but doesn't hurt to check the overheating issue (though I've never heard of it!)

just got over a similiar issue that resulted in my discovering the cyan capping station wasn't making a proper seal. I replaced the captop and took the opportunity to fix an ongoing pump issue at the same time (cyan pump was sticking, staying in the open position) by cleaning out all the ink lines below the capping station to the pump.
between the fixing both, not knowing if the pump threw the capping station or vice versa, I had managed to get my printer running 100% again!

if you continue to run into the issue without a fix, at least try to keep your production going by dialing up your head refresh rate, print shorter runs, print singlepass, and as slow as possible. should keep you rolling until you have time to really tackle the issue.

InOverMyHead

ok, you may very well be right.

it is happening again,

I just replaced the capping station 4 months ago. but where do I order new captops?

I just had both pumps replace, but they sound really really crappy, (the tech did it) So I ordered two new pumps from macmedia. I think I will replace them with the new ones.

How do you change your head refresh rate?

I think I will replace the black and MAG dampers with brand new ones. I changed the other 4 one week ago.

Ill let you guys know what happens.

CC=)