Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jv3 nightmare.... encoder strip

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by AnotherSignManiac, Jun 20, 2012.

1. AnotherSignManiac

AnotherSignManiac Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Florida
    So my encoder strip needed replacing, hefty scratch on the old one, got the new one in. Replaced it, and now.... NOTHING! it wont print, no test print, nothing. Oh also the old encoder strip would print a test print just fine but nothing else.... can someone offer some help please

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    does it throw an error or anything?

3. VanderJ

VanderJ Merchant Member - Printer Parts and Sevice

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Without more info I can think of 2 things.

1. You may or may not have turned off the machine while working on it or did not unplug it resulting in a blown head fuse from a short caused during the replacement.

2. The encoder strip may not be set between the sensor properly and therefor cannot read it.

Let us know more info to help further.

4. AnotherSignManiac

AnotherSignManiac Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Florida
    no error at all, and I believe I have it set right the strip is sitting inbetween what seems to be a U bracket

5. Dave Rowland

Dave Rowland Member

Sep 17, 2005
    this is bizare... no movement at all?

can u film it and youtube it?

6. AnotherSignManiac

AnotherSignManiac Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Florida
    well there is movement, the head will act like it is printing but no ink drops

7. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    Pull ink from the bottom of the capping station.

8. VitalSignsInc

VitalSignsInc Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Head fuse for sure. i know just last week i was messing with a head wire pulled it out power was still on and it blew head fuse. it would go back and forth just would not print that group replaced fuse was back at it ( and to let you know the fuse is size of a tic tac)

9. VanderJ

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. If the head is moving, the encoder strip was installed properly. Only other thing it could be is the head fuse.

10. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    or ink isnt flowing...I'd try pulling ink first before checking fuses

11. AnotherSignManiac

AnotherSignManiac Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Florida
    Ink is flowing, just checked with cleaning solution. Now I can get a test print (the four color one) to print just fine, but when I goto send a file its not printing properly, its like extreme stepping by an 1"

12. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    encoder strip problem heheh - did you get something stuck on the strip sensor when you put the new one in?

13. AnotherSignManiac

AnotherSignManiac Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Florida
    I might have, is there any easy way to check to see if I bumped it? I am actually wondering if thats what I did when I was trying to feed the strip through

14. VanderJ

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    If the head is moving without any errors popping up, your encoder is fine. If ink is flowing but nothing prints I am 99.99% sure that it is the fuse.

Edit: Oops didn't read your post. Can you show us a picture?

15. Case

Case Member

Jul 21, 2004
    IN
    did you peel off the protection film that is on the strip before installing it???

Case

16. SignaramaFL

SignaramaFL Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I can get it to print small pieces as long as it is centered. If I send something to print and I have it right justified in the print dialog box it prints off the material. If I send (x2) in the print dialog box it prints lines that look like this ___|_____|__|_|__ ?

17. AnotherSignManiac

AnotherSignManiac Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Florida
    this thing is nothing but a headache, it seems like sometimes it will drop ink and sometimes it wont. It will also only print upto the middle 18" on banner and 24" on vinyl.... could this still be the head fuse, if so where would I find a replacement and where is it located

(thanks for all the help thus far!!!)

18. AnotherSignManiac

AnotherSignManiac Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Florida
    And its fixed!!!! I cleaned the encoder sensor and all is well, and man was that thing filthy!!! Thanks for all of the help everyone :)

19. MikeD

MikeD Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    cleaning encoder strip

Glad you got your problem resolved and you're back in business!
    Can you tell me how you cleaned the encoder strip sensor and how you would clean the encoder strip itself?
    I am having some issues with a JV33 and it was recommended that I clean the encoder strip... 99.9% iso with a lint free cloth, scrub it? gently wipe it? blast it with canned air? I'm not sure what to do to get it clean, and would appreciate insight from those of you with experience.