• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv3 nightmare.... encoder strip

So my encoder strip needed replacing, hefty scratch on the old one, got the new one in. Replaced it, and now.... NOTHING! it wont print, no test print, nothing. Oh also the old encoder strip would print a test print just fine but nothing else.... can someone offer some help please

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Without more info I can think of 2 things.

1. You may or may not have turned off the machine while working on it or did not unplug it resulting in a blown head fuse from a short caused during the replacement.

2. The encoder strip may not be set between the sensor properly and therefor cannot read it.

Let us know more info to help further.

VitalSignsInc

Head fuse for sure. i know just last week i was messing with a head wire pulled it out power was still on and it blew head fuse. it would go back and forth just would not print that group replaced fuse was back at it ( and to let you know the fuse is size of a tic tac)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Head fuse for sure. i know just last week i was messing with a head wire pulled it out power was still on and it blew head fuse. it would go back and forth just would not print that group replaced fuse was back at it ( and to let you know the fuse is size of a tic tac)

Agreed. If the head is moving, the encoder strip was installed properly. Only other thing it could be is the head fuse.

Ink is flowing, just checked with cleaning solution. Now I can get a test print (the four color one) to print just fine, but when I goto send a file its not printing properly, its like extreme stepping by an 1"

I might have, is there any easy way to check to see if I bumped it? I am actually wondering if thats what I did when I was trying to feed the strip through

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If the head is moving without any errors popping up, your encoder is fine. If ink is flowing but nothing prints I am 99.99% sure that it is the fuse.

Edit: Oops didn't read your post. Can you show us a picture?

SignaramaFL

I can get it to print small pieces as long as it is centered. If I send something to print and I have it right justified in the print dialog box it prints off the material. If I send (x2) in the print dialog box it prints lines that look like this ___|_____|__|_|__ ?

this thing is nothing but a headache, it seems like sometimes it will drop ink and sometimes it wont. It will also only print upto the middle 18" on banner and 24" on vinyl.... could this still be the head fuse, if so where would I find a replacement and where is it located

(thanks for all the help thus far!!!)

MikeD

cleaning encoder strip

Glad you got your problem resolved and you're back in business!
Can you tell me how you cleaned the encoder strip sensor and how you would clean the encoder strip itself?
I am having some issues with a JV33 and it was recommended that I clean the encoder strip... 99.9% iso with a lint free cloth, scrub it? gently wipe it? blast it with canned air? I'm not sure what to do to get it clean, and would appreciate insight from those of you with experience.