• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 OEM Chips/Chip Resetter

dstt9901

Anybody know anything about getting spare chips for a Mimaki JV3 160S? Better yet, does anyone know of a good place/price for a chip resetter for the same machine?

iSign

this is dangerous territory.
Why not buy inks slowly & carefully. monitor your usage, buy more when low, demand fresh inks from your supplier & only put fresh inks in your printer...

...anything else is like eating really really hot pizza, when you're really really drunk... the pain mechanism may be turned off & you can run the hot pizza through your system... but you still might do some damage even though the pain warning system was compromised.

dstt9901

If that were the issue, I'd agree with you. Unfortunately my problem is not with the inks themselves, but the actual chips. We've talked to tech who cannot give us an answer to our problem, and we've concluded that getting spare chips would get us some better usage of the inks we have.

Matt-Tastic

why not tell us the problem you're having, and maybe you'll get a better answer than the tech you were speaking to. multiple minds are often better than one.

dstt9901

Tech was a typo. It's been three, and one was straight from Mimaki.

Cartridges will go out before their date or when they're used up. The Machine will report that the cartridge is wrong (despite being in the machine for quite some time), literally giving the error message "WRONG CARTRIDGE". This is not one color, but system wide. It is random, and it is speeding up. I used to think it was that the cartridges were old (often times it was the case, but not recently). If a cartridge is replaced, the machine is up and running.

Solutions that have been giving (aside from techs sitting dumbfounded, saying "WOW!" and telling me they've never heard of it):

-The brass spring clips on the cartridge sensor need to be bent back (Mimaki said this did not need to be replaced). We've taken the machine apart to check this out, did bend them back into place, and still had a cartridge go out.

-The contact on the chips may need to be scuffed (literally with a pencil eraser and alcohol) to reset contact. This did not bring back the cartridge.

We've tried to test our own theories: If we place the cartridge somewhere else in the machine, it comes with an error: "COLOR OF INK", as it should.

The sensors may need to be replaced, despite what Mimaki says, but this would be for all six colors; I'd buy replacement a bit more if it were one color or one side that was having problems). I'd also blame the sensors if we weren't back up and running with a new cartridge and new chip. This is why we're looking for a way to reset the chips we have, or acquire replacements. I have been able to find a couple of places who will sell replacement chips, but am unsure of their quality.

Matt-Tastic

i'd go straight to the source. its an electrical problem. you're getting intermittent errors from sensors that work fine sometime, and not the other times.

sounds like you need E102423 IO PCB 250 assy.
thats the board where all your contact sensors and ink end sensors send their signals.

or the cables have come loose and are sending bad signals. there is a ribbon that goes from that board to the main pcb, and if its loose/damaged, it could be garbling the signal, sending false readings to the mainboard.

thats where i'd go next.

dstt9901

If it's a loose cable/ribbon, I'll buy that, this would have to be all 6. Where is this board located (more importantly, where is it in the schematic so I may be able to order this), or is this a main board issue?

Artgunner

Could be firmware issues and settings. Have you been trying to use repop chips on your ink? That will start the problems with firmware if it is not compatiable.

Art

benjercorp

If you need chip resetter why not use a bulk system with chip resetter, I've seen a lot of print shop using them these days since the economy is a mess...

inkmed

Why did not try the permanent chip, it is a chip looks same as original chip.
But it is endless, did not need resetter. When you mount it on a refill cartridge, printer can work continiours, did not change cartridge.
Just fill ink when the ink in cartridge is not enough.

Adam from Inkmed

kkamauu

We use the bulk ink triangle system and use unlimited chips. So that it never has to be replaced. I buy them from ebay. Never had any problems and i have it on my JV3 160sp as well.