• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 Printhead needed? YES? NO? MAYBE?

MarkH42

I have attached a picture of the test pattern from our JV3-160sp. One recent Monday morning the test pattern showed this missing block in one of the yellow patterns. Although it looks like a head strike and a possible damaged head, there is no visible sign of damage by looking at the head from underneath and we didn't have a head strike that I can recall leading up to this. We just replaced the capping station a month or so ago. I have tried a nozzle wash, head soak, medium clean, strong clean, etc. and am not getting any improvements. I hear there is a gel that you can put on the head that could be a possible last ditch effort before I shell out for a new head. Any thoughts or ideas? I have considered having an extra head on hand as an emergency backup and maybe it is time to pull the trigger on that. Any luck with sending these off to be "refurbished"? I'm running 16 pass now and not getting any noticeable banding, but that is not a long-term solution. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Mimaki test pattern 0913.jpg
    Mimaki test pattern 0913.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 193

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Although you may not see physical damage on the bottom of the head, the nozzles are very small and can be damaged without much visible (to the naked eye) damage. If cleanings and nozzle washes are not working out, I would move to flushing the head manually with a syringe and OEM Mimaki cleaning solution. If that doesn't fix anything, I would get a new head. Fortunately your problem is in the yellow head which doesn't show up as much as the darker colors. You may get away with it for a while. If you need any help troubleshooting or need parts feel free to call us at solventinkjet.com

artbot

the missing spot is a bit high but it might be a clogged manifold. i'd take the print head out, take off the manifold and aggressively clean it before replacing the head.

MarkH42

The monday morning you are referring to, is that before or after replacing the ms?
It was a couple of weeks after, but a valid question. The seal around that head seems fine. I may try to clean the manifold, although that is further into the machine than I have dared to go before.....

artbot

if you have the removable cap tops, you can also do a cap top swap to see if there is a bad space on the seal. one thing to remember is jv3's have back suction issues at the far left of the capping station due to the cammed capping action. it's not uncommon to have the far right side shemmed with a few razor blades to bump it up on that side. to see if you have a contact issue, have a partner press upward on the capping station. the pull a vacuum on that line at the waste end. one,,, listen for any air leak sound, two see that you have a good flow of yellow coming down. now do a test print. the manifold is a bit of a longer shot now that i think about it. usually that open spot will be right in the middle of the pattern with feathered sides.