• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 SPEED? and a couple more questions

GARY CULY

Reading another post on here this morning and one response to a problem was to "slow down the machine" guy said "ad .2-.3 second delay" just how does a man do that?
one more question while you men are reading ...just exactly what is the encoder strip? i see aclear plastic band suspended back behind the head length of the throw ...is that it? what does a man clean that with?
oh one more. sorry ....what is the height of the head to platen at LOW supposed to be in thousads of inch? [i.e. .090....,125..etc?]

thanks for any help men
G. Culy
www.hipsticker.com

signage

Gary yes the encoder strip is the clear strip that runs behind the head! Clean with alcohol and a soft cloth.

The proper spec for a JV3 Head in "Thin" is exactly 2mm. Google tells me that this is 0.078740157 in inches! If you can't source a set of metric feeler gauges then 2mm Di-Bond works very well for this purpose.

There are many ways to "Slow Down" the printer...

* Switch from Bi-directional to Uni
* Increase the number of passes (i.e. 4 to 8, 8 to 16)
* Turn off "High Speed" or "Fast Print" mode
* Relocate the printer inside your local RMV - Nothing moves quickly there!

It's also possible to add a "Pass Delay" on the control panel or from the RIP software but I'd exhaust the above methods first as they offer additional quality benefits.

Generally the only reason you'd want to slow your JV3 down is if you're seeing dark overlaps between passes that you can't eliminate with the Media/Feed Comps (i.e. the passes are "wicking" together due to the ink not drying fast enough.

thewood

Gary,

I would not recommend cleaning the encoder strip with any solvents like alcohol. Water should suffice.

And there is at least one other method of slowing down the printer that hasn't been mentioned which involves the RIP software. Flexi's RIP, for instance, has an option of "Dry Time Between Passes" which can be found under Advanced>Driver Options. You can only set the dry time to even second intervals, though (1,2,3 etc--not .1, .2, .3)

Case

Gary,

I would not recommend cleaning the encoder strip with any solvents like alcohol. Water should suffice.

And there is at least one other method of slowing down the printer that hasn't been mentioned which involves the RIP software. Flexi's RIP, for instance, has an option of "Dry Time Between Passes" which can be found under Advanced>Driver Options. You can only set the dry time to even second intervals, though (1,2,3 etc--not .1, .2, .3)

Samurai Screwdriver already did say this, but he said pass delay... SAME THING..............

And cleaning the encoder with alcohol is fine...

Case

GARY CULY

thank you men ..few ideas there ..i can accomplish most all my problems it seems through adjusting media comp ..tha actaully just shrtens or lengthens the distance it moves forward between passes that will fix any overlapping problems ..when its set right its great but if not its can be very frustrating ...ive never really understood the media comp ..i do it .i close up the 2 black strips so there is no gap and go on,,ive looked at those dots w/magnifier and i just dont get it.i havce no idea what it does .but everytime i do it and adjust it .my machine always prints smoother...any comments on that would be appreciated ..some things it seems i learn better here than with a tech guy that dont use one every day..that book knowledge they have only goes so far.

thanks again...

GARY CULY

oh on the head height ...078" sounds right i checked mine right now its .081 so i guess its not too high ..that was why i wondered ..it just looks high off the media got me wondering there

GARY CULY

well i cleaned the encoder strip tonight after i shut down bout forgot ..GEEZE it was dirty! dont know much about it but i recomend everyone take a look at that it may be a big part of any problem you may have .[mayby it being an electric part it attracts dirt? didnt look dirty its just a clear plastic strip].ill clean that sucker more often now i know ....i do keep my machine very tidy and had a cover made for it out of nylon ,,like tent material....i cover every night ..DUST never sleeps and my rep told me when it was brand new .a LOT of problems stem from a nasty thilthy printer ...i came from a machinist father that tought me well to take care of machunes! a mimaki is a caddy of printers and more like an instrument to me ...mine is named dale after dale ernhardt in the fact it is BAD AZZ as he was....hug your mimaki today ,and remeber all the weeding your NOT doing now..lol

thanks for your help and enlightment