• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33-160 Head Alignment?

jacksonsigns

I purchased a used jv33-160 recently and have not been real happy with the printing results so far. As far as I can tell I am having trouble getting the head aligned properly. Is there any detailed head alignment procedures available. Is the maintenance manual the best manual to use for this? I have been using Roland printers since 2000 and that is all I have to compare to. Roland has a "service" manual and it has very detailed instructions for head alignment, and it all seems very simple. I will attach a few photos. The first one is the test draw, not perfect but with my Roland experience this would produce a very good image. The next one is showing (I think) how far off the Bi Directional alignment is, and the third is showing some kind of "splatter" on the black ink. If I print a photo it actually looks decent but definitely not great.

Attachments

• IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 502

Vinylman

I am using the exact same printer.
You need to get the head CLEANER. To many nozzles plugged.

As for the alignment, it needs tweaked quite a bit.

I would definitely recommend the Mimaki service manual for direction. HOWEVER! trying to read the Japanese to english translations, I have found somewhat confusing {might be age related, LOL}.

Go slow and double check the reference marks. When properly configured your JV33 will print every bit as good or better than the Roland.

jacksonsigns

Thanks Vinylman for the response. Two questions I have. First, you say "the head cleaner". Is there a "head cleaner" available as something you purchase or are you just referring to running through the machines head cleaning options? Second, you reference the Mimaki "service manual". Is there an actual "service manual" available? I have searched quite a bit and the best that I have been able to find is the maintenance manual. Thank you again for your response.

Vinylman

I do a standard head clean FIRST, then check your test pattern.

If no change then I go into service mode, open the ink servos via the key pad prompts, CAREFULLY, remove one of the small drain hoses below the docking station, clamp off the other hose to create a vacuum. Then hook the removed line {MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PULL THESE LIES OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE DOCKING STATION> They should be pulled apart where they attach to the pump.} to a medium size syringe, and GENTLY draw back on the plunger of the syringe. It will create a vacuum, and pull ink through the print head all the way from the ink carts.

Once you are sure you have pulled ink through the docking station, remove the syringe, re attach the line below the docking station, CLOSE all solenoids at ink carts, and run another test draw. Should show positive results.

Another thing you might do is a LONG soak of the print head on the docking station filled with cleaning solution.

Do a search here on this site. "Artbot" uploaded a complete service manual for our printer, and it is invaluable. http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb57df2/n/jv33.zip

P.S. You need to be familiar with these printers BEFORE you start tearing into them , BUT they are pretty basic once you get the basics in your head.

Best of luck.

jacksonsigns

Thanks again Vinylman. I will give that a try. I am the only technician that has ever touched my Rolands since 2000. Well I did have Splash of Color convert it to Solvent in 03, but that was because they wouldn't just sell me the parts. lol. I know the Roland inside and out and hopefully it won't take too long to teach this old dog a new trick. :smile: I have downloaded the files from artbot but don't think I saw a "service" manual, I will look again. It could be that Mimaki just doesn't call it a "service" manual. The closest I could find was the "maintenance" manual. In my mind maintenance and service are two totally different things.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The Maintenance manual is the service manual on these. The maintenance manual is not in any way intended for the end user to perform regular maintenance tasks, it is for a service technician. Yes, I see your point in the somewhat misleading name. Generally the maintenance manual is not available to the end user period, you cannot download it from Mimaki nor will they provide it. Fortunately techs do make things available for others on the web though. Your printhead has some issues for sure, with nozzles missing and deflecting it's going to be very difficult to get accurate alignments since some of the alignments are based on a single nozzle line.

Anyways section 3-3 in the maintenance manual goes over the service mode head alignments. You will need to enable the service menus than follow the alignment procedures. Be sure to set the user mode feed comp to zero before starting as well. That will need to be readjusted after the service mode adjustments.