• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv33 Magenta Starvation

Murray

Hello all!
My magenta disappeared on both ends of the test print. Ive replaced the pump and cap (twice for the cap, just in case) Ive hard cleaned many times, ink filled several times, nozzle washed and replaced the dampers (twice) Im out of ideas ;( When i carefully push ink into the head manually, I get a good test, when i switch the cyan and magenta positions I get a good cyan test in the magenta slot but still a poor or no magenta test in the cyan slot... this leads me to believe its not the head but an ink flow issue. The dampers fill as they should but it seems very slow to fill up. If i fill the damper and do a test, i may get a partial test but after a few tests it goes back to a complete blank. After a cleaning, i always get a blank on both magenta lines. It appears to be a starvation issue where I have ink from the carts to the dampers but for some reason it is not actually getting into the head even after the cap seals to the head and pulls ink (ive drained a full black, yellow and cyan cart doing the cleanings and ink fills, but the magenta carts are essentially still full) :( Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It sounds like an ink flow issue for sure. You might want to change the little claw like part that connects the damper to the ink line. Change the o-ring along with it to rule that out. After that it could be the valve in the back of the ink cartridge is either not opening properly or is clogged. Sometimes it is as simple as the cartridge being empty and not flagging the machine properly. Try taking out the cartridge the machine is currently pulling from so that it automatically switches to the other cartridge. Run a cleaning cycle and see if that changes anything.

Murray

It sounds like an ink flow issue for sure. You might want to change the little claw like part that connects the damper to the ink line. Change the o-ring along with it to rule that out. After that it could be the valve in the back of the ink cartridge is either not opening properly or is clogged. Sometimes it is as simple as the cartridge being empty and not flagging the machine properly. Try taking out the cartridge the machine is currently pulling from so that it automatically switches to the other cartridge. Run a cleaning cycle and see if that changes anything.
thank you for your reply, I will call you and get those on the way along with a couple of new dampers. Ive disconnected the lines from the dampers and it drips out at a fairly steady rate so i think the cart end is likely working ok but yes ive tried using both cart slots and different carts also. For some reason the suction applied by the cap top is not drawing ink into the head even though it is right there at the damper. That little connector at the top of the damper is my last hope.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
thank you for your reply, I will call you and get those on the way along with a couple of new dampers. Ive disconnected the lines from the dampers and it drips out at a fairly steady rate so i think the cart end is likely working ok but yes ive tried using both cart slots and different carts also. For some reason the suction applied by the cap top is not drawing ink into the head even though it is right there at the damper. That little connector at the top of the damper is my last hope.

It could be that or the cap top is just slightly off and not sealing 100% with the head which I have been seeing a lot in older JV33 and CJV30s. A lot of the time it's just a bad cap slider. We include the slider with the cap top if you order it.

DougWestwood

yes it does return to a good test print. What do you mean "could it be an ink problem?"

I mean, could the ink be old/cloggy? If you do the cyan/magenta swap, and the test print is good when you swap them back, then the ink would seem to be OK. We recently had an ink leak on our JV150-160, right behind the carriage heads, near the dampers. Invisible until repairman took it apart. Fixed completely after that. Leaking such a small amount that only air would leak INTO the line. No drips of leaking ink coming out.