• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 Sudden Error 202 Device Construction

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Somewhat urgent issue.... Printed all day yesterday just fine. Came in a little bit ago today to finish printing a good sized job due to be installed Thursday to see the following on the printers control panel (all in the exact case and format it displays it)

*RESULT of DIAGNOSIS
<ENT>

if I press enter is gives me

HEAD-MEM:1
Image-MEM:128MB

the only other keys that respond are the up and down arrows which alternate between the result of diagnosis message and the following

SETUPof COMPOSITION
<ENT>

if I press enter on this one it gives me

Poss-ble composition
HEAD1 OK? :ent

if I press enter on this one it then initializes the printer and acts normal. Except it will not jet any ink. Acts fine other wise - detects media, I can tell it to do a cleaning, test print, send a print job, etc. It goes through the motions when trying to print but nothing comes out. The head cleaning is moving ink through - I can see it moving through the drain lines under the capping station.

When I shut the printer down at this point and power it back up that is when I got the Error 202 Device Construction error for a second - then it gives the Result of Diagnosis message again.

Anyone know why this would appear out of the blue? The machine is about 2 years old, has the original head which has (had yesterday anyways) a 100% perfect test draw. So far I've tried restarting the printer a few times, unplugged it for 10 minutes - after it sat 10 minutes I also pulled the top cover to inspect the slider board - looks fine, all the ffc cables are firmly seated, pulled the cover off the carriage and checked that the ffc cables are also still attached to the printhead. Still no go. :banghead:

I'm in a jam here - we run this machine daily. I do have the Mimaki tech docs for the printer. Going from those I'm about to shut it down again for 15 minutes then pull all cables from the slider board and use a meter to check if that is gone. From what I can guess either the slider board, ffc cables from the slider board to the head, or the head itself just all of the sudden decided to crap out.

Anyways if anyone has any other ideas to try let me know. I may need a source asap to next day air in a part or two if it comes to that. :help

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Well - got an update and got it running. To be honest I cannot say what exactly was wrong.

I ended up shutting it down - waiting 15 minutes or so. Then pulled all 6 ffc cables from the slider board. Using a mimaki tech doc I checked the slider board with a multimeter on 3 points and it checked good. I then proceeded to partially remove the prinhead assembly - just enough to remove the 2 ffc cables and head heater cable from the head to the slider board. I then checked both head ffc cables pin to pin with my meter and both checked as good.

I was honestly hoping I might just find a bad ribbon cable and have an easy fix.....

Anyways put it all back together and powered it up and it came up fine with no errors. :thumb: So I'm up and printing now.

Sadly since I never actually found any sort of problem I feel like whatever the problem is will be coming back to haunt me....

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Our client is now experiencing this issue. Changed out a used slider board (was freshly out of from another JV33). Same error message!

Any inputs?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It is either due to a non-oem head and firmware at 3.0 or higher or a faulty head cable. Cannot recall of the top of my head if there is any programmable logic on the slider board but it could be possible that there is and it had been setup for a machine with much newer firmware in which case reloading the machines current firmware may or may not change it. Also make sure the little memory board cable on the front of the head got reconnected or did not get disconnected at the head end.

Worst case is if it does have an OEM head and still throwing a device construction error - downgrade its firmware to 2.20 and the error will more than likely go away. These do run perfectly fine on 2.20 firmware, I can promise you that. Ours has been at 2.20 for a couple of years now and runs great. We have to keep it there since our head is a non-oem head.

Always Printing

Error 202

Thanks for posting this thread it was a great help.
You seem to have a good knowledge of Mimaki and I was wondering if maybe I could get your opinion on something.
I have had the exact same problem with the CJV30 and had no idea how to remedy. I could by pass the error and start the machine without the print head laying down any ink but at least I could still use the cut head. I called my tech here in Adelaide, Australia and he came out and and had a look.
The white ribbon had caked ink on it (from a leaky damper) where it entered the head and that seemed to cause a short.
He cleaned the ink and inspected the ribbon and and it all looked OK.
When it was time to power the machine back up it blew something and now the machine will not power up at all. He inspected the power supply and says that it is working good and reckons that the mother/mainboard is fried.
He is telling me now that he will replace the mainboard and put a new head in while he is at it but its gonna cost about AU$8000. It seems a little steep to me. If you have any opinion or knowledge on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Any response is welcome.
Regards, Always Printing (but not at the minute)

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
A shorted out print head can and will damage the motherboard. It does indeed sound as though both now need replacing, as well as the head cables since they are rather cheap in comparison.

Your only other option would be to remove the motherboard yourself and send it off to be repaired in the US which would leave you not printing for weeks. The main board is about $1500 and a print head is about the same plus another $50 for a new head cable. This is in US dollars. Then add in shipping and tech costs and there you are. Unfortunately I have no good news for you....

brightbanner

i like vivid color
A shorted out print head can and will damage the motherboard. It does indeed sound as though both now need replacing, as well as the head cables since they are rather cheap in comparison.

Your only other option would be to remove the motherboard yourself and send it off to be repaired in the US which would leave you not printing for weeks. The main board is about $1500 and a print head is about the same plus another $50 for a new head cable. This is in US dollars. Then add in shipping and tech costs and there you are. Unfortunately I have no good news for you....

Repair main board is a good idea, I just repair my printer main board, it work well.
New main board was so expensive.

By the way, main board and new head offer AUD8000 is crazy.

Brent

Always Printing

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the respnoses on my CJV30. My tech guy has replaced the mainboard, slider, head and head cables (most of it twice)and we are still getting the error 202. Main cables are tested as being good. So after $6000+ I am still at square one. Mimaki in Japan are getting back to us now. Fingers crossed.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Did he use an OEM Mimaki (IH47V) print head with the green connector or a much less expensive generic (IF33V) print head with a black connector? If its not an OEM Mimaki head you will need to downgrade the firmware to version 2.20 for it to work. That might make the error go away regardless although if it is a genuine Mimaki head then you still need to figure out what is causing the error.

Abror

The same error 202 after backup mainboard parameters. CJV30-160. F/W version is 3.2. Please, help. Can you send me the mainboard params, software for downloading, instruction etc PLEASE

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Error 202 means that the machine took a look at the head and decided that it is not the correct head. When this error happens out of the blue, it means something is shorted out along the path from the main board to the head. I always start by checking and replacing if necessary, the head cables and the memory cable. Then I air dust and clean with alcohol the terminals where the head cables plug into on the head and the slider. If that doesn't do the trick, check the fuses on the main board and replace if necessary. If all of that doesn't work, you have to change the head and it may even be a blown up main board unfortunately.

The parameter file is specific to each printer and you can request the file from Mimaki by sending them your serial number. I cannot send you the software as I am a dealer and am not allowed to give out anything without permission. You could ask Mimaki really nicely and maybe they will give it to you.

Abror

So, error 202 is fixed. Now printer gives error 07 head...... The head is OEM mimaki head (we tried a new one, but useless). I checked all resistances, connections - can't find abnormal condition. Any advices?

kensign

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the respnoses on my CJV30. My tech guy has replaced the mainboard, slider, head and head cables (most of it twice)and we are still getting the error 202. Main cables are tested as being good. So after $6000+ I am still at square one. Mimaki in Japan are getting back to us now. Fingers crossed.

kensign

hi i bought a mimaki cjv30-130 old,was working great.cutting ,but not the printing. The print head is dry out. i try long time and finally got some test print out, then i took off the print head and clean it for a long time with pressure and solution and i knew i blown it. I put it back after clean it , right away show up error code 06 and i turn on and off couple of times. Then the machine went into comma, control panel all dead, won't start up, no power up, no boot , no lights on inside the back all the mainboard ,nothing at all . I know i must have some solution or things on the print head board or leaking and blown it because try to many times, but i potect the ribbons and boards from the print head to the slider board, no damage or drippings, no bending, I knew that,But now only the one led light on show red on the slider board, and the button green light on and when press it has sound, so i think the power on, but not the mainboard, anyone know how to slove it, i diconnect the ribbons from the print head to the slider board or from the slider board to the main board, still nothing. will a new print head make it back to life , it has green light on front but thats it. Please help, so much appreciated

Did anyone send mimaki cjv 30 mainboard for fix,, any success?

thank you

It is either due to a non-oem head and firmware at 3.0 or higher or a faulty head cable. Cannot recall of the top of my head if there is any programmable logic on the slider board but it could be possible that there is and it had been setup for a machine with much newer firmware in which case reloading the machines current firmware may or may not change it. Also make sure the little memory board cable on the front of the head got reconnected or did not get disconnected at the head end.

Worst case is if it does have an OEM head and still throwing a device construction error - downgrade its firmware to 2.20 and the error will more than likely go away. These do run perfectly fine on 2.20 firmware, I can promise you that. Ours has been at 2.20 for a couple of years now and runs great. We have to keep it there since our head is a non-oem head

Bom dia como você conseguiu por em 2.20 eu não consigo ,você pode me ajudar?

hand851

Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com
∗∗∗∗∗ ERROR 07 ∗∗∗∗∗
HEAD (----)
An error was detected in the head connection.
(Abnormal temperature was detected.)
Turn off the main power, and turn it on a little later.
If the error occurs again, carry out the followings.
Refer to Electrical Troubleshooting ( See 7.2.3 ),
and replace the following parts if it has damaged.
1. Replace the head FFC and the HDC FFC cable.
2. Replace the head.
3. Replace the ink slider PCB assy. (See 6.5.9)
4. Replace the main PCB assy. (See 3.4.1)