• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV4 Y Motor

john.lutzke

Hello:

The past couple of days our JV4 has been giving us a "Motor Y" message; no error code, just [Line 1 on LCD] "Motor Y" [Line 2 on LCD] "Press <Ent> Key".

It will detect paper rolls without the error, but randomly gives the error when printing jobs or test prints; the carriage stops in the same place when printing a job.

I've cleaned the rail using qtips and 3-in-1 oil but it is still happening. Also, sometimes the carriage will bang against the right side once when the message happens.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :thankyou:

John

tbaker

couple tricks I suggest people try on the jv3, jv33, and jv5, I can't see the jv4 being that much different.

1. Clean the rail upper and lower with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a clean rag.
2. Oil the rail with a couple drops left middle and right on the bottom rail, (3-1 oil works best)

If the problem persists, then try cleaning the rail with alcohol, then rubbing steel wool gently over the rail ( don't press too hard), wipe the rail down well again, then re-oil.

If that fails, grab the alcohol again this time I suggest a nice 7 year old scotch, and call your service tech, because either your y-pulley assembly is going bad, or the y-motor itself is going bad.

to replace the y-pulley, about 2-3 hours, the pulley is a couple hundred.
to replace the motor, again about 2-3 hours, the motor is about 1k.

Next step, drink heavily.

Hope it helps.

john.lutzke

I tried those things you suggested. The problem persists. A Mimaki tech says that it may be the linear encoder strip, but the hash marks are there, no scratches, etc. (I used a magnifying glass and good lighting) Could it be the sensor, or too much tension on the belt? I blew it out with compressed air. I'm a little dubious about the linear encoder strip as the problem.

Thanks for your help.

John