• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV5 clogged/deflected black nozzles

Printhead

Since I got my JV5 more than a year ago, the black spitting nozzles have been getting pretty jerky.
I searched the forums to discover that the black ink is inclined to this. Some people reported having success with either a syringe or a ultrasonic cleaner, both of which I'm unfamiliar with.
I understand I'd need to disassemble the heads for an ultrasonic cleaning, and I don't like it.

Anyway... I'm just looking for success/horror stories, and maybe a little walkthrough about how one would go with the syringe or ultrasonic gadget.

Thanks!

RippinPC

Be careful

Many users experienced black ink issues after switching to K2 Mimaki ink. You may have done this without even knowing it as you probably didn't have a choice.

Don't take your heads out unless you know what you are doing as the JV5 is much harder to calibrate than most other Mimaki printers.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but some info that may save you a lot of time/money moving forward.

Chris
RippinPC

Printhead

So after a little more research I found that the black HS ink is the culprit. They changed those a few months ago (cartridges are now purple) and the new ones don't have this problem but the ill is already done.
What I must do is inject solvent in the heads or dampers with a syringe.
If somebody could advice me how to do this procedure I would be much grateful.

Robert72

Well, usually the clog due to bad black ink is located on the captop's filter more than the nozzles. If you use solvent and a syringe be careful to not spill solvent and don't put too much pressure. Always machine unplugged.

Anyway, I'd like to ask the experts which is the best solvent to do that, Ciclohexanone maybe? Mimaki cleaner? Vodka?? :smile:

Also, could work reverse solvent suction from the bottom with the syringe?

Or is better to put the printhead on ultrasounds directly??

iceman64

clearing heads

You can use SPC-369 (cleaning solution 200) for cleaning the heads.
Move the head to the left of the machine in order to reach the heads and place some clothes, as it may get messy.
Turn the machine off.
First you have to remove the dampers and replace them, as they might be clogged.
Put a piece of tube on your syringe and fill it up with solution.
Place the tube on to the top where the damper was and squeeze gently to clear the head (too hard could damage the inner walls of the head an diistroy it)
Try to look if the solution comes out as a nice straight flow out of all nozzles, if so go on to the next.

After you finished place the new dampers and startup the machine.
Make a INK FILL UP to fill the dampers and heads and check with a nozzle check.

This should do the job..

Good luck