• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Keeping Count

dlndesign

We do many runs with multiple qtys for different locations for the same client. We have work orders, but those are a bit cluttered with all the information that is included in them. I would like to find a clean way to give my team information that they need in a understandable fashion that leaves nothing to question.

Has anyone developed forms that you pass to your substrate cutter, laminator, and the guys that pack it up?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Sounds like you need a "routing" sheet. Basically, it 's a sheet with detailed instructions that follows the job through each process. Employees sign off on the sheet when they're finished with their particular task and then it's handed off to the next employee to complete their task.

At the end of the process, it's then returned to management for review. Typically, any hiccups can be quickly tracked to whom and when the hiccup occured. It's not a replacement for good management. It's an "observation" tool...so you don't have to hover over your employees.

JB

dlndesign

Thanks James.. that sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Any good templates out there that you are aware of?

James Burke

Thanks James.. that sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Any good templates out there that you are aware of?

I would think you'd be better off to make your own based on the departments in your company. Start at the beginning when the order is received from your customer, and then trace the job's path throughout your shop until it reaches the loading dock. Then develop specific standards for each process based on customer requirements.

Meet with your staff to review the routing sheet, and ask for their input or suggestions...it might take a few revisions, but remember to try to keep it as simple as possible.

Employee accountability is the key factor here...make sure everyone knows what's expected of them.

JB

HulkSmash

we have a general job sheet that is filled out from every job.
From designer it's then passed on to production, and then the front office, or shipping/receiving for pick up or shipping. this is just a general sheet for general sign/wraps. anything custom has it's own spec sheet.

it really helps.

Attachments

• job sheet.jpg
    job sheet.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 89

signswi

A routing sheet is the best paper solution, I really prefer non-paper solutions though (digital job management systems). Paper can get lost and you can only have one part of your shop looking at it at a time, where-as with digital you can have every part of the shop looking at a job and seeing applicable duties / signing off on them. Plus then the boss can see an over-view of everything in the shop and exactly what the status is of each of them. Cuts down on meetings and yells of WHAT'S UP WITH THE <insert client> JOB?!

James Burke

Get this....

I read a story about one shop where they issued ipads with wifi to every employee. Each employee had the responsibility of making updates to the network as the job progressed.

All pertinent information was available on the network for all to see, and it eliminated the need for employees to constantly have to check in with management for instructions.

Granted, this kind of step takes some serious expenditures and just the right kind of employee to make it all work.

JB