• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Knifeless Tape

mgieske

Got the new Fellers catalog today & noticed a new product: Knifeless Tech Systems tape. Anyone try this stuff yet? At 50 cents a foot, I hope it would do miracles. Sure does look ideal for between truck bed/cab areas.

MarioDesign

Just saw there website today and watched some of the videos. The stuff looks pretty cool! I know that a lot of customers would like the idea. Gotta see if I can try some out. If anyone has used it yet I would love to hear your feedback.

thesignexpert

I picked up a roll for all the installers here to try. It looked intriguing enough to give it a shot. Should have some comments in the next week or so. Honestly, we've been doing wraps way too long to believe for a second that this will be any sort of a "knife replacement" or panacea for wrappers. What I will hope for is that it proves to be a valuable tool for specific situations and can let us add to our arsenal. Anything that will help us continue to get better and better results is a welcome idea.

kustomguy

We use a similar product in our Rhino Lining Spray In Bedliner business. Only the wire is much thicker for Rhino. This stuff probably has its purposes, but you will have to make an upsell, you can't eat the cost of this stuff on a wrap job.

thesignexpert

Sorry, it wasn't as fast as I would have liked but we did do some experimentation today with this tape.

Short answer is it works pretty well. It laid into place as easy and with as much control as laying in striping tape. Once we figured out a couple of tricks to control the mono-filament it sliced through 3M 180c / 8519 laminate neat & clean. We tried some straight applications as well as curving awkward lines. Both seemed to work equally well.

The resulting edge definitely requires attention and making sure you flame the edge and set it properly. Basically just like you would properly set a cut edge.

I would think it would be useful around tight corners where a cut is needed but difficult to control knife pressure. Very useful in areas where a panel seam needs to be modified or an overlapped edge needs to be trimmed back without risking a nick in the bottom layer.

For those who have the blade skill to trim off vinyl without touching the surface... not so useful of a product. One big advantage I see here is the capability of putting another tool in the hands of wrappers in training as they continue developing their critical knife skills. If you have people who are skilled in wrapping & squeegee work but still need to work on their "touch", this is useful to keep them moving without risking a client's paint job.

I believe we will keep a couple rolls of this on-hand on a regular basis.

Tim

"Useful Sign Forms, Marketing Packets and Clipart for the Sign Professional"
TheSignExpert.com

ProWraps

should have my roll tomorrow. i like the possibility of use around window edges rather than that stupid edge knife thing we bought for $40 that sucks.

should be faster and easier to cut back 1/8-1/4" of the perf for lam tape.

zapblam

should have my roll tomorrow. i like the possibility of use around window edges rather than that stupid edge knife thing we bought for $40 that sucks.

should be faster and easier to cut back 1/8-1/4" of the perf for lam tape.

Two olfa silvers back to back works great for a even perf cutback. Only 1 with blade out of course.

parkedcar

I'm going to pick up a roll of this too. I like the idea for trimming between the bed and cab on pick-ups. I always have a difficult time trimming there and ive got 5 trucks to do soon.
Just a little pricy. Can't imagine using the stuff to trim an entire vehicle...

Got some rolls today. My installers love it.

Nice symmetrical cuts like butter and about 5 times faster than the knife. Pics attached.

Worth the $$$.

Attachments

• IMG00297-20110216-1422.jpg
    IMG00297-20110216-1422.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG00298-20110216-1423.jpg
    IMG00298-20110216-1423.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG00299-20110216-1423.jpg
    IMG00299-20110216-1423.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 89
We don't do wraps here but figured I would post a thought I have. I kinda wonder if litho score or litho perf would work. It is used in the offset printing industry, applied to plates to score or perf paper. If you put too much pressure on the score it cuts right through the paper and the perf makes an easy to pull apart perf line on paper.
I worked with this stuff for years in the offset print world. The big issue I would think would be the application to curves.
Would be interesting to try it though if someone wants to give it a shot.
Here is a link to a company that sells it.
http://www.graphicartssupply.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_629_635