• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Komacel for exterior application

Pinfinity

We are considering the use of Komacel at 1-3/16" thickness cut to shape at 48" x 60". The panel would be
CNC carved and filled gold leaf. The background color of this panel will be a royal blue. The sign would sit between two posts.

Question is ...what are the concerns with dark colors using this material at this thickness outside? Do both sides of the panel need to be coated royal blue?

Any advise would be appreciated

petepaz

Komacel features
  • Weatherproof and light-fast
  • Chemical-resistant
  • Non-corroding
they claim should be fine outdoors, for how long not sure
did a 2 sided sign 3/4" with cut vinyl and outside for a year now with no issues.
just applied the vinyl direct

Pinfinity

Thanks Petepaz...I like the use for it simply for the reduced labor of sanding, priming etc.
I'm just concerned about temperatures affecting the material..I'm going to apply HP dark royal blue to both sides
and then CNC v groove the copy.
Did you use a dark color vinyl on both sides?

thanks

petepaz

actually it was a burgundy color but it was oracal 651 vinyl not printed. i think the material itself will be fine. i would be more interested in what the outdoor life of the ink is
and my install was in boonton so not far from you and it went through the winter ok

letterman7

At that size it's going to potato-chip in under a year with a darker color. And applying a vinyl to the surface is just cheaping out - it will eventually shrink from your V-carved areas. Build an internal frame to support both panels (a simple inlay carving of the frame structure 1/2" the diameter of the frame components. I use 1" square tube. Carve both panels, put the frame in the middle, and glue together). You're V-carve will have to accommodate for the internal framework. Done quite a few this way, and so far, so good many years later.

RSP

At that size it's going to potato-chip in under a year with a darker color. And applying a vinyl to the surface is just cheaping out - it will eventually shrink from your V-carved areas. Build an internal frame to support both panels (a simple inlay carving of the frame structure 1/2" the diameter of the frame components. I use 1" square tube. Carve both panels, put the frame in the middle, and glue together). You're V-carve will have to accommodate for the internal framework. Done quite a few this way, and so far, so good many years later.

What would you recommend just keep it white and paint the grooves with dark color? Also how would I paint it and with what? Do i sand it, do I Primer It, what primer and what paint should be used? Thank you total noob at this please help thank you.

rossmosh

Komacel is used all the time in the carved/dimensional sign world.

You need to hang the sign. Don't mount it. Allow it to expand and contract. I'd also avoid the vinyl and go with paint but that's your call. Vinyl is a lot faster as you don't have to worry about dry time. Painting a panel like that with latex would take 5-7 days to get dry and cured enough to throw on the router.