• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Komatex (pvc) + 115 degrees (in shade) = warping??

pjjester

My 1/2" thick Komatex (pvc) 4-story-open-air-parking-garage signs are warping in the So Cal desert heat (probably 115 degrees at peak). The signs are NOT at all exposed to the sun. ONLY exposed to the ambient air temps. 1/8" thick white pvc backers are mounted to the garage columns and the 1/2" thick black komatex signs are mounted to the white backers. I have a call into the mfr of the Komatex material but wondering if Signs101 members have had issues like this. Again, NO sun exposure. Just high heat. Thanks.

artbot

the way they are installed, ...do they have the ability to expand and shrink? with large substrates the fastening system has to have a large allowance whether it's an exaggerated rabbet or much larger holes than the fasteners need.

pjjester

Artbot: Yes. the white backers are 2s taped to the columns and the 1/2" (18"x18") blk pvc is siliconed to the backers. But pvc doesn't behave like acrylic in the heat. Acrylic will expand and contract evenly ... returning to its original shape. PVC will warp like a potato chip and stay warped when it has cooled down.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
One company i worked for made temporary panel (like 5 days) 1/2" black PVC with digital print sign and they warped like a bag of Laura Scudders and it was not 115... more like mid 80's

I have read quite a while back on this, another sign forum or Signcraft magazine NOT to use black PVC, but use white and paint it black. I personally would never use PVC if the temps were reaching that extreme.

10sacer

The molecular structure of PVC is fairly loose which allows it to be heat bent so easily in manufacturing and also enables it to warp in high heat conditions and since the structure is so loose - it will not retain its original form but will accept its new cooled structure. Just take a piece of 1/4" white and put it in your back seat leaning against the seat and leave it there for a day. If it gets to around 90 degrees in the car - it will loosen and sag and then start scalloping.

I use Alumacore for exterior signs.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
This is from the Komatex site:

Can KOMATEX be used for exterior applications?

KOMATEX is suitable for limited outdoor use White does not fade but will dull over time when exposed to UV radiation from the sun. When using KOMATEX for exterior applications, consider these factors:

Colors will fade over time, the amount of time varying with the situation

Dark colors fade more quickly and absorb more UV rays and are not recommended for outdoor use, whether painted, printed or standard KOMATEX colors, because the sheets are more likely to absorb more thermal energy and could be damaged

Care must be taken where temperatures may reach or exceed 140°F