Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Komatex VS Komacel ?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Sven, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Sven

Sven Member

Apr 1, 2011
    NE NJ
    Anyone have any experience using Komatex or Komacel for permanent outdoor signage? I will be making and installing about a hundred hanging signs out of a 1/2" material, and I was thinking of using Komacel.

Tags:
  2. dmfahie

dmfahie Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Southern, Maine
    Bump, same question here too

3. paul luszcz

paul luszcz Premium Subscriber

Feb 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Komacel is an exterior grade with a hard, high gloss surface. Komatex is an interior grade with a softer matte finish. I have used both but always paint Komatex. Komacel can be used as is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    +1

5. phila3

phila3 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Quarryville PA
    As I understand it Komacel only comes in white or black so if you spray paint it with acrylic can you still successfully apply vinyl to the painted Komacel surface?

6. Jean Shimp

Jean Shimp Member

Oct 26, 2012
    jacksonville, fl
    We use a lot of Excel brand PVC which I am assuming is similar to Komacel. Make sure you lightly sand or scuff the surface before painting so the paint sticks really well. We use something similar to a scotchbrite pad for scuffing. As long as your paint is semi gloss or gloss you should have no problem applying vinyl. Make sure the paint is very dry and use minimal application fluid.

7. JTBoh

JTBoh Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    Anyone know which PVC is the most rigid?

I remember years ago at my first shop - we had a 1/4" PVC board that instead of bending, was rigid, and would "break" if bent.

In the 10 years since, I haven't seen another of those boards until last week.

Whats the brand name?