• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Komatex VS Komacel ?

Sven

Anyone have any experience using Komatex or Komacel for permanent outdoor signage? I will be making and installing about a hundred hanging signs out of a 1/2" material, and I was thinking of using Komacel.

paul luszcz

Sven said:
Anyone have any experience using Komatex or Komacel for permanent outdoor signage? I will be making and installing about a hundred hanging signs out of a 1/2" material, and I was thinking of using Komacel.

Komacel is an exterior grade with a hard, high gloss surface. Komatex is an interior grade with a softer matte finish. I have used both but always paint Komatex. Komacel can be used as is.

phila3

Komacel is an exterior grade with a hard, high gloss surface. Komatex is an interior grade with a softer matte finish. I have used both but always paint Komatex. Komacel can be used as is.
As I understand it Komacel only comes in white or black so if you spray paint it with acrylic can you still successfully apply vinyl to the painted Komacel surface?

Jean Shimp

We use a lot of Excel brand PVC which I am assuming is similar to Komacel. Make sure you lightly sand or scuff the surface before painting so the paint sticks really well. We use something similar to a scotchbrite pad for scuffing. As long as your paint is semi gloss or gloss you should have no problem applying vinyl. Make sure the paint is very dry and use minimal application fluid.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Anyone know which PVC is the most rigid?

I remember years ago at my first shop - we had a 1/4" PVC board that instead of bending, was rigid, and would "break" if bent.

In the 10 years since, I haven't seen another of those boards until last week.

Whats the brand name?