• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

KVM switch & Keyboard issue

Colin

As you may know, I recently bought a new Win 7 computer, and am keeping my old XP machine running side by side for some time until I'm fully up to speed with the new machine.

A KVM switch was thrown in with the purchase, but it's a VGA switch, and my monitor was hooked up with a DVI cable, and the PQ is now downgraded to an unacceptable level.

So, I find the Trendnet TK-204UK DVI KVM switch on Amazon. Great!

Oops - it's USB, and my keyboard & mouse are PS/2.

Ok, I'll just buy a new USB KB & mouse.

Searched for keyboards.

I discover the Logitech illuminated KB (USB). Ya ya, I want that one; great reviews.

Oops, now I read about all of the problems people have had with these particular KBs not working with KVMs. Doh!

But perhaps they're talking about older KVMs - none of the things I read are conclusive or clear. So does anyone know if this combo will work, or would the more basic K120 (non-illuminated) KB be less problematic with that Trendnet KVM?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You also want to be sure it will support the resolution you run. Many are limited to 1600x1200 or less. The 23" widescreen monitors we use up here at 1920x1080. I use a pretty cheap KVM to switch between the one of the design workstations and the RIP PC. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182198

Has a little wired button that I keep up on the desk to switch between the machines. Been using it for over a year with no problems. They do also have versions with PS2 ports. As far as the keyboard and mouse go - I'm just using a cheapo Dell USB keyboard and a Logitech G5 USB mouse.

choucove

Personally I find DVI KVM switches nice, but not near as universal as an identical VGA KVM switch. At my house I have an IOGear 4-port DVI and USB KVM switch that works wonderfully, I've not had a single problem with it, the resolution is great, and the colors are wonderful. However, I work on a lot of computer systems off this but many times the computer I'm working with does not have a DVI port, simply a VGA port.

Now, if you have just a VGA KVM switch you could just hook up an adapter to go from DVI to a VGA cable and be fine to go with that adapter. I actually have three other 2-port KVM switches just like this actually, so that I can use either DVI or VGA outputs through the KVM, but if you have a DVI port KVM then you can only use a DVI cable and ouptut from the computer, which can be somewhat limiting.

HulkSmash

just going to let you know,
I have that exact same keyboard the illuminated Logictec.
it's not that good. It's extremely flimsy, and few of my keys dont exist anymore. Also, you can't clean it very well.. mines has marks all over it.. like scuffs and just dirt and dust, its really hard to clean, i suggest not to get it.

Colin

If you have just a VGA KVM switch you could just hook up an adapter to go from DVI to a VGA cable and be fine to go with that adapter.

But from what I understand, that will not improve PQ at all. Like I said, the PQ is greatly reduced with the VGA cable instead of the DVI cable which I had before installing the VGA KVM switch.

...but if you have a DVI port KVM then you can only use a DVI cable and ouptut from the computer, which can be somewhat limiting.

Not for me, as this is all I will want & need. I will keep the present VGA KVM switch just in case though.

Thanks

Colin

I have that exact same keyboard the illuminated Logictec. It's not that good. It's extremely flimsy, and few of my keys dont exist anymore. Also, you can't clean it very well. Mine has marks all over it, like scuffs and just dirt and dust, its really hard to clean, I suggest not to get it.

Thanks. Further research has revealed that the Logitech keyboards and mice do not work well with KVMs, so I'm open to suggestions on what other USB keyboards are good. (no illumination required, just thought it would be nice).

Custom_Grafx

No KVM switch required here...

My monitor has a vga input and a dvi input.

I am in your shoes by the way. Just recently got win7, but need my xp/old machine for a bit longer.

Stumbled across this way of doing it.

I have a wireless logitech mouse and keyboard (both usb).

I have both receivers plugged into a 4port hub. When I want to use my xp machine, I just unplug the hub from my win7 pc, plug it into my xp machine, and just switch the monitor input to vga isntead of dvi, and I'm running. Very easy, and no problems with PQ and the such.

Especially since it's temporary it doesn't bother me at all that I don't have a pretty switch that does it. It's just unplug/plug, and push a button on my monitor.

Colin

Just found this bit of info whilst searching:

Basically, there are 3 types of USB KVM switch technologies in the market now.

1. Enumerated USB switch (hub structure, simple and cheap)

2. Emulated USB switch (hot-key control, but bad in compatibility)

3. Full DDM (Dynamic Device Mapping) USB switch, (best, hot-key control, no USB enumeration required, fastest switching, no compatibility issue, but expensive)

Google "USB DDM KVM switch", you can find more information.

choucove

When it comes to quality (from the five or six different KVM switches that I have used at least) there has been no difference between using a DVI and a VGA switch on a standard LCD screen. Now I highlight that because if you're using higher quality 8-bit IPS displays, such as the Dell UltraSharp series of monitors, the the absolute highest color gamut and color correctiveness will only really be achieved using something like Display Port. Again, this might be your situation, especially for professional designers, and especially since you've stated your entire system is already set up with DVI outputs and cables. The reason I mention the compatibility and the DVI vs. VGA options is because of other areas that I have seen this come up, and may be helpful for others looking for this kind of solution.

As for compatible keyboards and mice: I personally have a Razer wired USB keyboard which I have had no compatibility issues with. I've also used the Gigabyte GK-K6800 professional USB keyboards with several different KVM switches and never had an issue with them in compatibility. From what I have heard, it's really the mice that have the big compatibility problem. I also personally use the Microsoft Sidewinder X8 and also the Gigabyte GM-M6800 professional USB mouse, both on several different KVM switches, and they both work fine. The only problem that I notice personally is with my IOGear 4-port DVI KVM switch. It can sometimes take up to twenty seconds for it to bring up the screen display properly if the computer that I am switching to has the screen go to sleep or the screensaver running. Also, it takes a little while to for the mouse clicks to be registered at first (though the mouse cursor moves just fine right away.) I find that using the scroll wheel right away when switching to a new input makes all the rest of the mouse buttons function then immediately after, so it is in no way a deterrence for me from using the products.

The only computers that I have ever had a problem with a KVM switch on are Dell computers. I don't know why, but it is actually a very widespread occurrence that a KVM might work just fine on every other computer system you use, but hook it up to a Dell and it will not work.

HulkSmash

it really depends on what KVM you have. Mine are the old type so i have to use converters.. and it works fine on ANY USB keyboard.

Colin

When it comes to quality (from the five or six different KVM switches that I have used at least) there has been no difference between using a DVI and a VGA switch on a standard LCD screen. Now I highlight that because if you're using higher quality 8-bit IPS displays, such as the Dell UltraSharp series of monitors, the the absolute highest color gamut and color correctiveness will only really be achieved using something like Display Port. Again, this might be your situation, especially for professional designers, and especially since you've stated your entire system is already set up with DVI outputs and cables.

I don't think mine is anything special. It's a 4 yr old Samsung SyncMaster 940BF, using a DVI cable. I installed the switch a week or two ago, right away with the new computer, and if I recall correctly, it was my old 16 bit ScanVec Inspire 1.6 software (on my old XP machine) that experienced the considerable clarity & crispness level drop the most. I don't think it was as bad on anything else (like CorelDraw), but I'm not sure, I'd have to swap the DVI and VGA cables back & forth to check.

Let me know if that sheds any light on my situation.

I just want to find a DVI KVM switch and keyboard/mouse combo that works.

I now see that the Trendnet TK-204UK one I mentioned earlier has some poor reviews. The ATEN CS62DU possibly seems better.

The dude

I got mine on ebay for $20.00 with shipping, works great and boy the space you save is great. Mine has room for 4 computers it might not be the best but works great.