• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 Printheads

rlmercer

Hey everyone,

We have a used L25500 that we've been using for a short while and had a couple of questions:

1) How do you know when a printhead needs to be replaced? The status is listed as "OK" for all printheads, but we've been getting some inconsistent prints lately (i.e. colors not printing accurately).

2) If you don't have a HP tech in your area, what's the best route to have someone work on your printer if you need maintenance beyond a printhead? We're about 45 minutes east of Raleigh.

Thanks for the help!

StarSign

We generally change out printheads once they go out of warranty. That being said we have let them just keep going until the prints start to look bad and then change them out. We have pushed over 3000ml without a problem. As far as service I will keep my opinion to myself.

greysquirrel

In the clean Printhead section, I believe there is a diagnostic plot that can be run that will show you how many NOZZELS are not firing on the heads...

Dennis422

Do a few cleanings, and then print all test prints.
No need to change the printhead until printer tells you to. Even then, you can shake it gently and put it back in, it will print. I had one that printed 4600ml and then finally quit. Printer told me few times to replace it but it worked after I shook it and put it back.

rlmercer

Ok, so I've replaced my first printhead. Is there any procedure I need to perform beyond the automatic printhead alignment that the printer starts after replacing one? Thank you guys.

dale911

President
I have been running one of these machines for a few years. I have an issue with it right now and it's probably needing a head change. The black prints perfect for about 3-4 feet and then acts like it's ink starved and starts banding. All the other colors are fine so that is most likely the case. I ran about 130 feet of straight black print on these heads so they may have gotten a little overheated. Print plot is good, and when I start the next print, it will do fine for a bit, and then a few feet in, start banding again. These printers are decent, but they had some issues that the new generations got worked out. As far as service, get a copy of the service manual. You can find it online or pm me for a link. It is invaluable. I have taken my machine apart a couple of times for a few issues. I recommend making sure the waste ink tube is not blocked with ink or eventually, it will back up into the printer and start running down the right side of it. If you don't address it, it will eventually back up into the aerosol fan and kill it. (The aerosol kit is part of one of the $200 maintenance kits, but I bought the exact fan for $20 online) Also, the original tension pulley was poorly designed, using a plastic spindle. If it breaks, you can actually remove the core from the belt pulley (leaving only the outer ring of the pulley with the ribs that keep the belt from moving up and down on it). I found an exact size of bearings at Grainger and used a stainless steel bolt with lock nut on it and never had another issue with it. Repair cost was under $15 instead of buying an entirely new belt kit for about $250. If you have ever thought about 3rd party inks, I've been using Budget Ink in mine for the last 2 years with no printing issues. The only issue I ever had was 2 had chip errors and they replaced them immediately, even before I got the non-working cartridge sent back to them. They are awesome to work with. I have run about 100 cartridges through it so far. I ran out of ink one time and bought an HP cartridge and could not tell any difference in the print quality.

aburiedheart

Designer/Project Manager
Long lasting heads

Most of my heads have gone to 9000. It wasnt until recently that they started going around 1900, but I think it is because the Maint Kit 3 warning is up now. Print car wraps blows through ink and heads quickly.