• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Label Job for a Repeat Customer

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
This thread is to document, step by step, our production of a sizeable label job we've done for a regular client for several years now. It is assumed that, for many here, the job may seem routine and not all that interesting. Our hope is, that for a number of others, the information will be helpful and educational. It will also point out to some the value of a Gerber Edge for this kind of a job. The job was for 5,000 labels printed with Spot Gold Metallic and Spot Black foils on white cast vinyl. From start to shrink wrap, the job took seven hours and produced a profit after cost of materials that exceeded $200 an hour return on my time ... the total of which exceeds what our Edge and Envision plotter would likely bring if we sold it on the open market.

Printing is done is two passes, one for each spot color, 5 feet at a time which yields 220 labels per print run. Limiting the length of a run keeps handling easier and also results in better color to color registration.

attachment.php

Our plotter sits at the opposite end of a 6 foot table. We feed the completed prints into it directly so that we can print and cut at the same time.

attachment.php

Once the printing and cutting is done, they are moved to our weeding and finishing area.

attachment.php

After weeding off the unprinted vinyl, we're ready to trim out the labels into single vertical strips.

attachment.php

First the excess release liner is trimmed off the top and bottom of each section on our Keen Cutter setup.

attachment.php

Next the sections are cut down to single vertical strips on our guillotine cutter. The use of a low profile fluorescent light allows the blade edge to be seen through the release liner to avoid bad cuts and get done faster.

attachment.php

Here's a rare photo of your genial host at work.

attachment.php

The trimmed out labels are sorted into stacks of 1,000 labels and finally shrunk wrapped to protect them and create a quality impression for the client.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tato01.jpg
    Tato01.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 344
  • Tato02.jpg
    Tato02.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Tato03.jpg
    Tato03.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 284
  • Tato04.jpg
    Tato04.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Tato05.jpg
    Tato05.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 284
  • Tato06.jpg
    Tato06.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Tato08.jpg
    Tato08.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Tato07.jpg
    Tato07.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 298

reQ

Very nice! I like the shrink wrap idea. Right now i am using poly tubing from uline & seal them in there, but shrink wrap is awesome too!

Jburns

Awesome- Thank you very much Fred. As a newer owner of four pieces of gerber equipment ( and now Omega 6) its great to see this type of work.

Drip Dry

15 years with the edge and it never dawned on me to send a job from the edge directly to the plotter.
Thanks for the tip

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I like the Kleen Cutter setup! I really need something like that!

Yes the Keen Cutter does a great job on soft substrates like Coro or PVC foam. What we like most about it is the ease of keeping everything on the square. When we do an install, for example, we can use the edge of the release liner to measure to and know our lettering or graphics will be square to our substrate.

gabagoo

I would never get rid of my Edge.... Just last week the Mimaki refused to run due to bad chip set...Edge to the rescue...for what it could do to help Besides,you cant print metalic gold on a cmyk printer.

Jburns

Fred,

Do you always prefer to print on Scotchcal 220? I have had some inconsistencies with other brands..and was thinking it may be the vinyl itself.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred,

Do you always prefer to print on Scotchcal 220? I have had some inconsistencies with other brands..and was thinking it may be the vinyl itself.

Yes. We used a lot of Oracal 651 and 751 for a while but found an occasional conflict between a particular foil and vinyl combination. It was kind of weird because the same foil would print just fine on a different color vinyl and the same vinyl would print great with a different foil.

Jburns

Thank you - yes I have used both 651 and 751 - and seen some imperfections- and possible foil issues.
Will go Scotchcal from now on.,

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hey Fred is the blade depth adjustable on that Keen Cut?

We've been looking at getting one and I'm curious if we could use it for backslitting.

:thankyou:

It wouldn't work in conjunction with the table which uses a slot for the blade to extend into. It could possibly work with just the Javelin cutter assembly but you would need a super flat table and then you would lose your depth setting very quickly as the blade point wore down.

Check THIS THREAD for a pretty good discussion of "semi-slitting" solutions. The Champion SS Semi-Slitter always seemed to me to be the way to go.

Ptolemy

Thanks Fred. This was great. What about the business of finding ideal customers like this? Any suggestions on marketing our thermal printers?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks Fred. This was great. What about the business of finding ideal customers like this? Any suggestions on marketing our thermal printers?

Show jobs you've done on your website, your store walls or your portfolio book. Be patient and wait for word of mouth.