• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Labels and Stickers

StickerBee

Hello guys,

Im am wondering if you use the same type of vinyl for stickers and label? Or for labels thinner vinyl and stickers thicker vinyl?

Please advise.

TIA!

rjssigns

Depends on where they're going to be used and how long clients expect them to last.
For example: I make industrial labels and it's all done with cast and cast laminate. Same as I use for vehicle graphics.
Other things get 4 mil calendared with no lamination. Some 4mil gets laminate.

Without knowing your exact requirements it's impossible to recommend materials.

Master Graphics

Labels are generally based on what duty they will be performing. If it will need to be stronger, abrasive protection, or have a special finish are some factors. Stickers normally you are based on cost. We use Oracal 3165RA. It is 3.75mil thick and is really easy to peel/apply for the client without laminate. It is also really cheap.

Master Graphics

Depends on where they're going to be used and how long clients expect them to last.
For example: I make industrial labels and it's all done with cast and cast laminate. Same as I use for vehicle graphics.
Other things get 4 mil calendared with no lamination. Some 4mil gets laminate.

Without knowing your exact requirements it's impossible to recommend materials.

LOL same answer same time

StickerBee

Im so sorry for not being specific. For stickers, it can be indoor(laptop decals and phone decals), for outdoor like bumper stickers. I dont plan to make bigger once. And for labels, it is for boxes, bottles and jars. I have Roland BN20.

SlikGRFX

Im thinking of getting this for labels, it looks too thick? But Im sure I can use this for stickers like decals and bumper stickers.
https://www.drytac.com/product/polargrip/

Will this be good for boxes too?

If it's anything like the snowmobile or motocross vinyls I have used, this type of vinyl will have a large quantity of very strong adhesive on it. It's designed to be used to stick to low energy plastics in cold conditions. It will stick to pretty much anything but it's probably overkill for what you need.

Also I'd be careful using this type of vinyl for general use or bumper stickers. It will stick almost too well - you don't want the headache when your sticker removes the paint from a customer's bumper when they try to peel it off. These high bond vinyls also tend to leave a lot of glue behind when the sticker is removed.

Don't over think it. Just call a supplier and ask for their advice then place an order.

SlikGRFX

Hmmm, strange. It's a very specific type of vinyl to recommend for general use. I guess it depends what you asked them. If you mentioned that you need something that will stick to lots of different things, then I guess this product will do the job :)

StickerBee

hahaha you are dmnd right! Thats the question I asked. So, I need a list of the types of vinyl, please. Looks like the PolyGrip is too much. I need a general purpose vinyl for stickers and another vinyl for labels as well as for cardboard. Thank you again!

hahaha you are dmnd right! Thats the question I asked. So, I need a list of the types of vinyl, please. Looks like the PolyGrip is too much. I need a general purpose vinyl for stickers and another vinyl for labels as well as for cardboard. Thank you again!

Most manufacturers will offer documentation for their various print media and laminates. We have an Orafol guide that is very useful for determining the best media/lam for the specific application.

We use Orajet 3651RA/Oraguard 210 laminate as our calendered for indoor use or short term outdoor use, as well as labels/stickers, for which we typically don't bother using the laminate. We use Orajet 3951RA/Oraguard 290 laminate as our cast material for long term outdoor use and high-quality outdoor signs and decals in general. And we use Convex HighBond with either the Oraguard 290 laminate or Convex ProShield 12 mil laminate for low energy surfaces.

TimToad

Most cake, baked goods, etc. boxes are pressed board and have a smooth NFS approved coating on them. If it was me, I'd just use a 6mil, semi-rigid decal material and skip the laminate. If being used on perishable food items and chucked afterwards, I see no point treating these decals like they should last more than a few weeks to a month at the most.

Now that most recycling markets in the U.S. have been obliterated thanks to the trade war our leadership has instigated, cereal boxes and other packaging won't be shipped off to China to deal with anymore, so we need to treat these types of packaging like the throwaway items they have now become.

AF

Most cake, baked goods, etc. boxes are pressed board and have a smooth NFS approved coating on them. If it was me, I'd just use a 6mil, semi-rigid decal material and skip the laminate. If being used on perishable food items and chucked afterwards, I see no point treating these decals like they should last more than a few weeks to a month at the most.

Now that most recycling markets in the U.S. have been obliterated thanks to the trade war our leadership has instigated, cereal boxes and other packaging won't be shipped off to China to deal with anymore, so we need to treat these types of packaging like the throwaway items they have now become.

On the positive side, the islands of plastic in the pacific will start to diminish.

TimToad

6mil might be too thick for boxes?

How thick is a 3.2 mil calendered vinyl and it's corresponding 3 mil laminate?

I suggested the 6mil semi-rigid for both its great affordability, ease of production and simple application by your customer.