• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Laminate or No Laminate on See Thru Window Perf?

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Laminate or No Laminate on Printed See Thru Window Perf?
It will be going on Exterior Glass Door that gets sunlight about half of the day....

unclebun

Depends how long you want it to last. Unlaminated will fade faster, but is easier to install and to many people looks better.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Laminate or No Laminate on Printed See Thru Window Perf?
It will be going on Exterior Glass Door that gets sunlight about half of the day....
We have window perf on our windows in our shop. not laminated, works great. We tend NOT to laminate the window perf. We had a state trooper come in and pay us to remove his window perf on his window because he couldn't see out of it at all. He complained that it was a safety hazard. (because it was laminated).
so the real question on a buidling...to see through or not see through?

Mike Volpone

Trying to survive in this post-Covid world!!!
Laminating prevents fading for a while but is harder to see through. The printed mesh isn't designed to be real long term but lasts a few years here in the harsh sun of Southern California.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
He complained that it was a safety hazard. (because it was laminated).

They probably used non-optically clear laminate. If you laminate with optically clear lam, you can see through perfectly. Also, without lam, water can build up in the little holes which causes visibility issues as well. I would never do perf on a car without lam but anything else is optional.

We have window perf on our windows in our shop. not laminated, works great. We tend NOT to laminate the window perf. We had a state trooper come in and pay us to remove his window perf on his window because he couldn't see out of it at all. He complained that it was a safety hazard. (because it was laminated).
so the real question on a buidling...to see through or not see through?

You need to use optically clear laminate on window perf.

I try to avoid laminate as much as possible, you need to use optically clear laminate on window perf which is much thinner and can cause problems on installation as it's not as flexible as the vinyl itself. I guess the rule of thumb is valid here as well - 6 months without laminate 3-4 years with laminate...