• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate Question for you

Acid12

For the past few weeks we have been trying to dial in our Enduralam3 BU-1700 64" Cold laminator. We have many years of experience laminating and had an Enduarlam machine before that we had no issues with. For some reason, Tension, roll pressure or other we have trouble getting a clean run on anything longer than 60 inches. It starts out great but as the material runs we start to get bunching of the laminate which once it starts we can't seem to recover. On this machine the film strings under a chrome tension bar which seems to flex in the center because it is so tight. (see photo and that is only 30")

Any feeback would be appreciated as I have a ton of prints to laminate and I am totally freaked out about scrapping these prints due to be installed before end of week. I have attached photos of what the material is doing after a run of 72". The laminate is Avery DOL 1360Z cast.

Any advice, suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Laminate bunching 1.jpg
    Laminate bunching 1.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Laminate bunching 2.jpg
    Laminate bunching 2.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 213
  • bending bar.jpg
    bending bar.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 197

AaronSSsignsKC

I worked in a shop that ran an old enduralam machine that would do the same thing on wider runs. The guy I worked with would grab the backing paper take up reel and hold it for a few seconds, this would cause the backing paper to pull down closer to the exposed adhesive. While the backing paper traveled it would clean up any of the bunching and waviness that you would start to see. He ran the machine that way all the time he would stand there and watch each run and grab the roller when he needed to for a few seconds let it go and let the paper work itself out. It always seemed crazy to me at the time and still kinda does, but it always worked.

We also were always adjusting roll pressure and settings on that thing we kept a push pull gauge close to keep the pressure nice and consistent.

Good luck!

Acid12

I worked in a shop that ran an old enduralam machine that would do the same thing on wider runs. The guy I worked with would grab the backing paper take up reel and hold it for a few seconds, this would cause the backing paper to pull down closer to the exposed adhesive. While the backing paper traveled it would clean up any of the bunching and waviness that you would start to see. He ran the machine that way all the time he would stand there and watch each run and grab the roller when he needed to for a few seconds let it go and let the paper work itself out. It always seemed crazy to me at the time and still kinda does, but it always worked.

We also were always adjusting roll pressure and settings on that thing we kept a push pull gauge close to keep the pressure nice and consistent.

Good luck!
Yes, that is exactly what we did with our old machine. I could run up to 20' and not have any issues if we held the roll like you are saying. With this new machine, the tension and take up roll are on the same gear so they are driven together and you can't hold the roll like the old one. Because of this, the laminate hangs very high above the roller and this is where the slack starts and begins to have an issue in the center of the roll. Sad thing is.. I donated my old laminator (for free) to our local library because they have a mini sign shop and they allow the public to use the equipment. Now I wish I had it back.. I thought getting a new one was a good idea but this has been really stressful. Pulling my hair out! Heavy tension, Lighter tension, More roll pressure, less roll pressure, faster feed slower feed... Nothing seems to really make an impact.