• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate Roll Width compared to Media Roll Width

Crusader01

Hi,

We are running 30" wide rolls of media through our CJV and have just started laminating. The printer will only accept 30" wide max rolls.

We are confused about the width of the laminate we should be using. It seems like the base media should extend past the over laminate so the over laminate is not sticking to the platen of the laminator as it is fed through.

Is is most common to match laminate width to media width? So in this case, 30" media with 30" lam?

I am just worried about there being no wiggle room.

What do most folks do that have 30" wide media?

Should we try to find 28" wide laminate? Are there suppliers that will cut rolls down?

This post seems to address similar concerns: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?75392-laminate-width&highlight=laminate+width

Andriy

Depends on what you have printed.
If it's a 29.5" print then you will need something wider than 30" to compensate for the laminator skewing.
You can always cut down a bigger roll to 29" if the print isn't occupying the full width.
Using wider lamination is not uncommon but creates a nuisance if you don't have guys on the other side trimming it down before it's on the takeup/table.

Crusader01

Thanks Andriy.

We're definitely not maxing out widths on prints on the 30" roll. Mostly staying within 24" wide or so.

I'd be comfortable with a 28" or 29" roll of lam but am unsure how to tackle that?

Does anyone cut rolls down?

Andriy

I've heard of suppliers cutting the rolls down for you if you can't do it in-house, worth giving them a call.
I'm sure some of the other guys could suggest places.

fresh

How are you laminating?

We match our roll width to laminate width, and even if it skews a bit, its no big deal. We are trimming the print anyway, its not difficult to unstick the small amount that skewed over.

Crusader01

Cool. I've asked Harbor Sales about cutting and they said no. I have not checked with Fellers. Perhaps others have some ideas.

PM
fresh: We just got a Royal Sov. 820 (Cold) Roll laminator. Our print media is 30" and I was just hesitant to buy initial rolls of 30" lam.

Think we'll be OK even with some skewing? Most of our prints are no more than 5 feet.

fresh

it depends on how well you load the laminator. with practice, you should be able to go at least 5 feet with little to no skew. just get the 30" roll of lam and try it out!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
A whole thread happened on this topic not long ago, and I'll say it again...I think ALL laminates should be 1/2" to 1" less than the media width, so there is room for skewing and no need to trim off excess laminate before you contour cut or mount the print. But they cut them to same width. Actually, many of the Oracal laminates seem to be around 1/8" WIDER than the media, so you're screwed right off the bat.

EDIT: Just checked my current roll of Oracal 210G - yep....54.125". So stupid.

x2chris7x

We use 54" vinyl and 54" laminate... WHY ISN'T ANYONE USING CRAFT PAPER WHILE LAMINATING? We run a 60"w roll of craft paper... We can run 30"w vinyl thru the laminator without any worry of it sticking to the rolls because the craft paper catches whatever laminate that doesn't hit vinyl... Hopefully that makes sense. (The vinyl print basically gets sandwiched between the laminate (Top) and the craft paper (Bottom)

Paul R

Use craft paper backing

Like someone else here stated, if you use craft paper backing that is wider than your laminate, you don't have a problem. I laminate 54" materials with 54" laminate on 55" craft paper. Skew doesn't matter too much in that case, unless you are laminating over 20 feet, which I have done multiple times. And everything still comes out hunkie-dorie. I believe you are over-thinking this.

eahicks

Like someone else here stated, if you use craft paper backing that is wider than your laminate, you don't have a problem. I laminate 54" materials with 54" laminate on 55" craft paper. Skew doesn't matter too much in that case, unless you are laminating over 20 feet, which I have done multiple times. And everything still comes out hunkie-dorie. I believe you are over-thinking this.

So what if you use Kraft paper, and it skews. You STILL have to trim off the excess laminate before you run on the plotter, or even attempt to roll up the laminated vinyl. So no one is over thinking anything. Trying to solve a common problem.

trakers

Grimco will cut your laminate to whatever width you want.

They charge 10 bucks. I’m guessing if you are a large volume customer, they will do it for free. Before we found out just how straight this USTECH laminator tracked, we had them cut some 8508 from 54” to 52”.

One time due to a loading error by a new operator, there was about a 1” mistrack and the laminate did not stick to the lower roller, tho it wanted to stick to the rear shelf. :)

On anything 24" or less we hand laminate with a BS. Faster and easier.

blufftonsignguy

I run a 30" Graphtec plotter and a 54" printer. I purchased a 60" laminator so that I never cut myself short with the equipment I have. The downside to purchasing a 30" laminator in my opinion could be cutting yourself short in the long run. If you were to ever step up to a larger plotter/printer, you will have to purchase another laminator. The cost difference between sizes of laminators is really not that much in comparison to purchasing a new one larger than what you have.

My penny and a 1/4

Paul R

I hear what you're saying

So what if you use Kraft paper, and it skews. You STILL have to trim off the excess laminate before you run on the plotter, or even attempt to roll up the laminated vinyl. So no one is over thinking anything. Trying to solve a common problem.

But it seems to me the main problem that the asker needs addressed would be solved with backing paper. With a roll of wider paper, no laminate will hit the rollers at all.

eahicks

But it seems to me the main problem that the asker needs addressed would be solved with backing paper. With a roll of wider paper, no laminate will hit the rollers at all.

Wasn't the rollers he was talking about...it was the platen. 1/2" of laminate isn't going to hangup on the rollers usually....but it does stick on the back as it comes off.

Did you try Advantage Sign Supply? they use to cut down 48 premask logs......Im in northern va, i have a film slitting machine we can cut down full 72" Rolls to any size. see attached pic. you can send me a pm for my number or email.

but you shouldn't need to worry about skew if you take your time and load straight, square, and tight.

Cool. I've asked Harbor Sales about cutting and they said no. I have not checked with Fellers. Perhaps others have some ideas.

PM
fresh: We just got a Royal Sov. 820 (Cold) Roll laminator. Our print media is 30" and I was just hesitant to buy initial rolls of 30" lam.

Think we'll be OK even with some skewing? Most of our prints are no more than 5 feet.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 214

401Graphics

I run 54" lam with 48" media almost every day. I never have in issue with the excess lam sticking to the rollers. I run 54" because if the media skews i'm not screwed. And the price difference between 54", 50" and 48" in minimal.
I also run 36" lam with 30" media.
I also have never used kraft paper.
:corndog: