• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate separating from vinyl?

SignProPlus-Chip

I have never encountered this before. We are doing an install for another shop and we noticed the laminate is separating from the vinyl. If you try and pull them apart, you can de-laminate the whole thing with barely any effort.

Allegedly they used Avery vinyl and laminate...this is happening on plain white too, pieces of vinyl that have no printing on them at all.

Anyone have an idea what can cause this?

kanini

Had this happen once. It was when I started out and outsourced my lamination to another place. Apparently they ran out of my laminate, didn't tell me and just grabbed another glossy laminate roll that they thought looked good. It did until you touched it, the laminate was pulled off with the transfer tape and didn't stick at all, printed or un-printed areas no difference. Switched to correct laminate and no problems. My .02 c is that it's the wrong laminate/vinyl combination.

anotherdog

Either the sub or the lam is defective. If it delaminated where there is no ink it usually means the lam is at fault. I have seen this with old batches of lam that have sat on a shelf for a few years, particularly the "harder" lams like dry-erase.

J

john1

I have had laminate easily be able to be lifted from un-printed and printed vinyl before. This only happened with calendered vinyl and laminate right after it came off the printer. If you let it sit for a few hours it should adhere better and not be a issue.

My experience anyway.

formanek

I have had the issue a few times. Once when I had primer on the surface and tried to remove the wrap after placing. Secondly when I don't have the heat on the laminator turned on when laminating. Both with Avery MPI EZ.

Salmoneye

Wonder is the shop was real cold or ??? Never had that happen. If you burnish with a squeegee will is still pull apart?

mgieske

Ask the printer if they used a hot laminate. It should be a dumb question but we were once sent IJ180 with thermal lam for an install job and it came apart with little effort.

Its def not the matching lam that is the only time i have seen it happen like you are talking about. We had a shop print a whole back of a dugout for us when we were doing an out of town install and they used 3m ij40c vinyl and a general formulations lam and it was coming apart from the word go, luckily the dugouts were only up for two days so we got away with it but it wont last long.

SignProPlus-Chip

I think Fellers sent the poor guy the wrong lam. He brought by a sample, and it's not optically clear at all...has an almost mottled look to it. Either it's the wrong lam, or perhaps some really old lam.